● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 25 March 2013

How can women fancy men? Pt 4

Why this four-part series?  I might say it proves I sympathise with women's plight. But I'd be a fool not to fear feminist "correction". Some grammatical or syntactical error, some maladroit choice of noun which would quickly prove I was deluded. Take to your bed, old man.

Claiming to understand women's plight - as I am - is even more dangerous except that I plead a special case.

In 2009 I started novel-writing and have since written three, getting on for half a million words. I found myself wanting to concentrate on women. I'm not sure why but I ended up with three women (Clare, Jana, Judith) in whom I invested some effort and, I suppose, much love.

All three live in the real world. Thus I found myself having to "hand over" or, at the very least, "lend" C, J and J to men. It is only now I realise I found it subconsciously difficult to do this. And this is evident in the plots.

Clare's is the most conventional story and ends in rapprochement. Despite her admirer's essential decency, I had to give Clare the moral high ground in that final chapter.

Jana's story is darker. Physically disadvantaged for the gender struggles she takes up with a man whose main defect is bound up with  his attraction. The hell with masculine power.

Successful and gorgeous Judith is brought low by a man and then, through indirect association, even (horrifyingly) lower. Two "non-biological" men assist in her rehabilitation but new spiritual backbone is provided by a woman.

You could say I lack the detachment to write novels. That I am in thrall to women. That my only achievements are several brief vacations on the other side of the gender fence. So be it.

8 comments:

  1. "'Because I am mad about women
    I am mad about the hills,'"
    Said the wild old wicked man
    Who travels where God wills."

    Yeats again. And again:

    "May God be praised for woman
    That gives up all her mind,
    A man may find in no man
    A friendship of her kind
    That covers all he has brought
    As with her flesh and bone,
    Nor quarrels with a thought
    Because it is not her own."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe: I have just bethought myself: Maude Gonne must have been a looker because such a name would be hard to fall in love with.

    In fact I've now checked and she was a looker! Had I been WBY's PR adviser I'd have recommended he got rid of the pince-nez. Didn't do a thing for him.

    More terrific stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just finished reading a novel by Annabel Lyon (from around here) called The Golden Mean. It's a fictional story about Aristotle and his most famous pupil, the young Alexander the Great, as well as his relationships with the women in his life. What often struck me was how well the female writer took on the voice, mind and sexuality of the main male character. Very much later in the novel, Aristotle is stunned to discover that women also want pleasure from their lovers. (Duh, eh?)

    I guess what I'm saying is that as a writer, it's a gift to see both male and female sides. Now go pat yourself on the back and keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that I've read all four parts, I am deep in thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All: I know we're supposed to ignore the dubious info provided by Stats but with this four-parter there's never been such a wide discrepancy between the figures for pageviews (fifties and sixties) and those for comments (modest, as you can see).

    M-L: I face a problem; I load the dice in favour of women. Instinctively.

    RW (zS): That's a very neutral observation, RW. As if you were too kind to disagree. Be cruel to be kind, let it all spill out and let me help. Here's a tick list:

    [ ] Disguised chauvinistic crap
    [ ] Too general
    [ ] Too simplified
    [ ] Too muddled
    [ ] Too self-serving
    [ ] Other

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh RR, it's difficult for me to be cruel. I really have been deep in thought. It has been that kind of week. Perhaps I would add another choice to the ones you have provided: [ ] deep.

    There is a kind of song in Japan called 'Enka'. The female singer takes the role of the male and sings in male Japanese (distinct in vocabulary and tone from female Japanese]. Misora Hibari was the master and I happened to be living in western Japan when she was still alive. Folks laughed at me when I told them how much I admired her ability to become male as she sang (not to act male, but actually become male). Astounding talent. I was in awe.

    My thoughts turned to bicultural folk, who are able to stand with one foot in two cultural camps. I thought also of your short story about the German WC lady. You wrapped me in the dialogue between the lady and the man. It is a rare thing to be able to communicate in the voice of another gender. It takes heart and deep understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RW (zS): I think I re-commented here before I read your post about Kyung-wa-Chung and realised you were tied up in sad memories. My apologies for being pushy.

    I should in any case make it clear that I don't regard my situation as an illness or a burden. I want to write and women are what I want to write about. Sometimes it works rather well. As I think with the DDR lady.

    Now you've raised the point, the thought of a story based in Japan suddenly seems attractive. It will have to centre on an occidental central character (a woman, natch) since I only know superficial stuff about Japan. If it ever comes to fruition I shall dedicate it to you, RW (zS). A rather big conditional there so something of a left-handed compliment. Otherwise my sympathies about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ach was! (I love this German phrase my family used with flapping hand out in front to mean nothing to apologize for) Your list made me laugh out loud. Thank you!

    The Enka thing has always intrigued me. A strong woman on stage in a culture that expects women to be demure and silent. What an excellent story that would make. Mae West storms the Japanese Islands!

    ReplyDelete