● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 1 October 2018

A real pro

Tone Deaf strives for originality. Original subjects are hard to come by but the old war-horses (singing, writing, life in the USA, wine, sexual desperation in youth, speaking French, faking it in journalism, etc) can be given a new set of clothes by polishing up the style or the approach. Thus, not just singing but rehearsing while travelling on buses, not just writing but pretending I'm Shakespeare.

Tell the truth I've never tried either of these two possibilities so I'm already in profit today. Whoopee! Could be I'm gee-ed up by the prospect of a singing lesson in 2½ hours’ time.

My wife, VR, likes to be original too but doesn’t have a blog. Which means her innovations arrive with a bang.

Coupla days ago we're in Tesco and VR's rootling through the bargain shelf. I'm mildly outraged when she comes away with two tiny "tails" of fillet beef. The cost of these fragments is about £7 and I can't see that as money well spent. But then I can't see as far ahead as VR.

There's an event imminent; now look at those fillet "tails". Individual Beef Wellingtons with our initials emblazoned! That's original!

Which causes me to reflect. Some years ago I sat down to a plateful of spag. bol., a staple when there's just the two of us. But this one's different, more piquant. Seems VR decided - off the cuff - to chuck in a few chilli flakes. Now I wouldn't want spag. bol. any other way.

Ice cream is a dull dessert but not when it's scattered with raisins marinaded in dark rum. Much more grown-up and another simple VR modification. Grandson Ian christens it Rumraisin.

Any fule can tweak words. Tweaking food needs expertise and the effects are more beneficial.

5 comments:

  1. Ice cream well anointed with home made sloe gin is good on a winter evening, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like vanilla ice cream drizzled with honey-chipotle sauce (simply a mix of honey and ground chipotle pepper). Good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The individual Beef Wellingtons are inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avus: Yeah, but who invented it?

    Crow: All of a sudden I turned round and discovered the word "chipotle". Where had it been all the previous 83 years of my life? I like to think my vocabulary is both comprehensive and worldwide; my immediate instinct was to imagine chips (you'd say French fries) carved in the likeness of a pagan Mexican goddess.

    Colette: Given the nature of the event it was even more inspired. I could do no better than a bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if there was an original inventor. But my wife and I came to it circuitously. One January evening, bitterly cold, we drove about 40 miles across country to Tunbridge Wells to attend a folk concert (Fairport Convention). I put a flask of sloe gin in my pocket to keep our cockles warm. Came the interval and I bought us a couple of very good (but very overpriced for the captive audience) tubs of ice cream. On impulse I took the flask from my pocket and added some to the tub of broken up ice cream. We both remarked on its excellence. Overheard by the seats to both sides we passed the flask along for others to share - we became, suddenly, good friends to our neighbours.

    After the concert we came back into the outer world to discover snow had fallen heavily all evening. Going home along those country roads was interesting and exhilarating and took us until about 1.00am - but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete