● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 28 November 2018

Mike, it was an honour

Mike Raftus, a great friend during my six years in the USA, has died.

I first met him on the magazine I joined in Pittsburgh. A New Englander through and through, he wasn't entirely comfortable in western Pennsylvania. "Pick you up from the Y?" he said, possibly as one alien to another. We listened to jazz at a swish joint in Squirrel Hill and I was mildly shocked that a glass of beer could cost $1.25. At Riggs Lounge on Northside the price was 25 cents. Not that I really minded, I was doing a lot of listening.

He was 6 ft 7 in. tall and his style of speech was laconic. A terse, well-written screenplay, except it was entirely natural. He hated showing surprise. Later, emerging from a bar on Sawmill Run Boulevard he stared across the road at a hideous gin palace with a Wild West frontage. "That looks like the kinda place you could spend a lotta money... on nothing." It was the pause that made it.

His passion was WW2 planes, something I knew about since my father belonged to the Royal Observer Corps in the war. Later I was to be an usher at Mike's wedding in upstate New York. Strictly Catholic; when the others moved towards the rail I was to stay back. The family's ecumenicism pleased me.

He taught me US etiquette. We'd been throwing the football about on Misquamicut Beach in Rhode Island. I indicated my glove and baseball. Mike looked severe. "You don't do that on the beach."

There’s more but now he’s gone I won’t overload him with detail. Written snapshots are better. I felt honoured he’d picked me out and our friendship stuck. For me he opened up the USA as if it were a book.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that. Although I never met him I know how much he meant to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I am sorry you have lost a good friend who let you in to another world... I like the snapshot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir Hugh: As we have subsequently discussed, you did meet Mike when you visited us at Annapolis Avenue. I'm wondering who decided it would be a sleazy bar - me or you? I was keen for you to absorb local colour, you see.

    Marly: Sometimes Mike's dialogue sounded as if he was well aware of my US English fancies.

    Nighttime. We were looking at the city from Mount Oliver, a Pittsburgh suburb on top of a cliff above the Monongahela. Identifying various buildings from their lighting displays.

    Me: What's that one? Very bright, with all the fairy lights.

    Mike (Disgustedly): A used car lot. (Indicating, with a hand slice, it was all he intended to say on that subject.)

    The first-time I'd heard "lot" with that meaning, even though I knew it from US novels. Pronounced "laht".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss, he sounds like a nice guy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Colette: Nicer than me.

    When he and his wife, Maggie, came over we took them for a drive into wild, wild Wales - as Mike had often taken me for drives in the US. As we were nearing my home:

    Maggie: How many sheep do you think we saw today? Thousands?

    Mike: Billions!

    It didn't sound like much of a joke. I think it was the terseness that caused us all to explode with laughter.

    Years later I had a press trip to Venezuela via New York. I planned to fly up to Boston to see the Raftuses during the weekend. Fierce electrical storms over Kennedy cancelled all flights out and I slept the night on a table at the TWA terminal. Got the first flight out very early and Mike was there in Boston to meet me, still very early. Without asking he took me to a Jewish deli where I had lox and bagels. Knowing instinctively that I would appreciate a truly US experience. I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rod ... thank you for this wonderful recollection. Mike always considered you a great friend ... I also remember fun time with you and Veronica .. we had some interesting experiences .. like the one where you almost dropped baby Melissa down the steps -- BUT, you didn't. Still a vivid memory for me. OH, and by the way, I ordered Out of Arizona from Amazon. I will get to read it soon!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maggie: I'm glad you liked what I said. I'd read the eulogy, thought it comprehensive and tender, so looked for other things to say. In retrospect I realised Mike was a word-man (good stuff but always trimmed down to the bare minimum) and that's why we seemed to get on.

    As to baby Melissa I'm sorry to say she did fall down the stairs. It was one of those occasions when I was glad to be married to someone who trained as a nurse.

    If the story of Out of Arizona doesn't thrill you may have fun picking out the sources for the scenes set in the USA.

    I get the feeling that you're in good hands. The Raftuses tend to stick together, don't they? All the best.

    ReplyDelete