● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 5 July 2019

RR on losing one's platform of stability

I'm frequently facetious; I find it helps. Had more people been facetious ("Inappropriately lacking seriousness in manner; flippant") towards El Trumpo  he might well have imploded. Convinced it was his nickname south of the Border.

In Spain they have a state lottery with a huge prize; they call it El Gordo (The Fat One). A fine caption for that photo when DT wore full soup-and-fish during dinner at Buckingham Palace.

Laughter can often be more effective than gloomy solemnity.

I hinted in comments to my previous post (The Spine Softens) my next post might be facetious. And here it is.

I'm starting with my toes. The fourth one along (on both feet) is hooked towards the big toe. Should that take capitals? Might Big Toe be another nickname for... No, that's enough about him.

Think of hooks and you think of fish. I once posted about people who dangle their feet into streams inviting fish to nibble away defective skin. I thought it was an admirable use of natural resources. Not many agreed. Misjudge facetiousness and it's egg on your face.

My feet are 10½ which is smallish given my height. VR's feet are a tiny 3. I occasionally wonder if I wore her feet whether I'd topple over, having lost much of my platform of stability (Thinks: I've never used that phrase. 'twould make a good post title.)

My big toe on the right suffers from gout. In my youth I didn't get on with my father and he had gout. It makes me wonder... Not a subject I discuss with my daughters, for obvious reasons.

When it comes to buying shoes I hate to spend more than £30 ($37.67). Don’t tell me I’m wrong, I’m pre-programmed. Socks? Does anyone know what they cost?

4 comments:

  1. Well, the Roman emperor, Tiberius, in old age retired to Capri. Where he like to bathe naked whilst young boys (who he called his "minnows") would swim beneath him nibbling his private parts.
    Don't try this in your local baths RR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Avus: I wouldn't have expected there'd be anything left to nibble after the first week. Or possibly something was lost in translation; have buttocks ever qualified as private parts? There's be more to go at in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My maternal grandfather died of gout. His doctor advised him not to drink water... Ah, the vagaries of medicine.

    Avus! Hahaha.

    Last time I was in Europe, I saw quite a few tourists sitting in window seats with their feet in aquariums. Think I first saw that in Thailand, earlier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marley: Gout's shockingly painful but not usually terminal. Also other people don't take it seriously. Allopurinol's the answer; and staying away from rock-climbing which is bad for the toes. My dad had gout and I wasn't pleased about that. But he did get me a job in journalism so I suppose we're all square.

    ReplyDelete