● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 11 December 2011

Music's role. Cool Kid's list

Is music important? Most would say no, compared with warmth, food and reciprocated emotion.

Since no one has satisfactorily defined the nature of music I think there’s a case to be made. Think of how a bugle playing The Last Post enhances the Remembrance ceremony. How music makes weddings less lugubrious.

(Parenthetical note. A hymn sung at the da Ponte wedding – held in church at the insistence of my atheistic mother-in-law – predicted a rather rocky future ride:

Be thou my guardian and my guide
And hear me when I call;
Let not my slippery footsteps slide
And hold me lest I fall.


Slippery footsteps, forsooth.

The American national anthem precedes major league baseball games. A music-less funeral would ignore latent inner feelings. Bands send soldiers off to war. “Walk on, walk on” at Liverpool. Unimportant?

NEWS (edited by LdP) FROM COOL KID The boyfriend of grand-daughter Ysabelle. Astonished me by revealing he read Works Well regularly. He too now has a job – Yeh! Here’s his pop list.

(The list was contracted to) songs I like and I feel are different from average music both in terms of style and subject. I'm pretty sure you won't like some of them (.. ANY of them…)

Scroobius Pip. Angles. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkvWOAJeZmM
The King Blues. Five bottles of shampoo. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaSMiuvs6uw&feature=related)
Missing Andy. Dave (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOujMyOM0BY)
Noah and The Whale. L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbGUEelmzxo)
Mikill Pane. Summer in the City. (This guy will be popular very soon). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfHhGZQnjb4&feature=relmfu)
Bright Eyes. Love I don't have to love. (One of my favourite bands). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuXkhE0VMcw
Bo Burnham. Art is Dead. (Musical comedian). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo9pU1q8sy8)
Tim Minchin. White Wine in the Sun. (Musical comedian. Serious song which represents my feelings about Christmas quite well). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q)
Scroobius Pip vs Dan Le Sac. Letter from God. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnGNOiFll4)
Ed Sheeran. Small Bump. (The most popular artist on this list; unusual musical subject).(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9S349Zmu5E)

Scroobius Pip: interesting artist; sings/raps about topics unusual for mainstream music. Also recommend his Magicians Assistant.

This has taken me about three hours to compile. Hope these songs provide some (proof) that not all young people listen to the same autotuned rubbish regularly in the charts.

I’ll do my best, Cool Kid. It may take some time. LdP.

16 comments:

  1. Interesting.. But *grumble, grumble* this would have been a lot easier if you'd done all the links to youtube as hyperlinks (not just the last one) *mutter, mutter*

    ReplyDelete
  2. EB: The squeaking wheel gets the most grease. Hello, Squeaking Wheel, your wish is my command. I hope this isn't too late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo goody! Sometimes the rouchswalwe winging in later catches the worm.

    (Couldn't resist earlybird! I owe you a pint of quality ale for letting me tease you!)

    LdP ... this is wonderful ... I'm off to youtube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a new hero: Tim Minchin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! You keep losing your followers. I've signed in three times and I'm not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RW (zS): Hold hard, please. I haven't done my list yet. Quite different.

    The Crow: My first "listening" will take in one track each from Occasional Speeder, her hubbie (D) and one from Cool Kid. So I'll make the latter Tim Minchin.

    The Crow: Oh, I'm fed up with these new signing-in complexities. It's one thing to be dropped from people's lists because of my quixotic narrowing-down of subject, it's quite another to be the victim of techno-problems. I'll go away and try accessing as if I were a regular punter and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Crow: Ten seconds later. I don't suppose this proves anything but I was in like Flynn. Anyone got any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, what did you think of Minchin?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Crow: I've had a crowded morning and I'm presently pushing out a para of Blest Redeemer to the accompaniment of the Emperor (LvB, pno cto 5). But I'll get there. Promise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm wondering if it is a browser issue. I know Firefox is not playing well with Blogger for videos, and IE might be creating problems with logging in. The Crow, which browser are you using?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, the Tim Minchin song! It is one of my favourites too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia: IE. Every great once in awhile things go wonky with Blogger and I get weird messages like I currently have no followers or I am not following any other blogs, but it doesn't last long.

    I blame it on sun spot activity, or signal bounce, or harmonics that aren't harmonious.

    Or (and this is the likeliest reason), my lack of computing know-how.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Crow, looks like IE is fussy with blogger right now. I had to refresh my window before it would post word verifications. If it is a big problem, try Chrome or Firefox for a bit.

    ReplyDelete