● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 22 January 2018

Sand-strewn caverns

Winter is dark, literally and metaphorically. One looks for counterbalancing happiness and it's hard to find. Memories of the first legal pint of beer, the first date, leaving the West Riding, dining with the beloved in Soho, arriving for work in the New World - they've all been tapped dry.

But does happiness need to be based on truth? Might I pretend? Might imagination compensate for black skies where the Malverns ought to be, a frosty nip round my kidneys as I reach up to open the garage door.

It's not as easy as I thought. Being cheered at Covent Garden for my Leporello doesn't match up to the tiny increments of progress I may reasonably expect at singing lesson, only 2½ hours away at this very moment. Receiving an enormous cheque at Stockholm, strapped into a starched shirt-front, is not as much fun as re-shaping this present sentence - which itself is not exactly happiness, more a mild pleasure in seeing my fingers working at the keyboard.

Let’s widen the scope, somewhat.

I'm sharpening scissors with which Meryl Streep will later humiliate Donald Trump. (Hey, just his trousers, for goodness sake! Let's not go to extremes!) That's better.

I'm in a broom closet in 10 Downing Street, swinging a pendant in front of Theresa May's transfixed eyes, saying over and over, "It won't work." After half an hour she stumbles out on her stilettos, saying: "You know, I don't think it will." Way to go.

It's 1969 and I'm magically - and temporarily - encased in the body of Eddie Merckx, the year he won the general classification, the points classification and the mountain classification in the TdF. Merckx is Belgian, by the way. An unfavoured race.

My singing voice feels stronger and the Malverns are now visible.

6 comments:

  1. Way to go! I shall elaborate later. Too tired today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I shall elaborate later. Too tired today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a man with a strong singing voice! Prost!

    Malvern ... I've got to go look that one up ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabine: I'm still waiting.

    Rw (zS): It's a boutique-y town on the slopes of a whaleback of eponymous hills. I can see the hills from my atelier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the broom closet. Excellent approach.

    The scissors thing has a long tradition here in the Rhineland during Karneval and in our city in particular. The fifth season as it is called is fast reaching its mad and chaotic and very noisy peak event Weiberfasnacht on Feb 8th this year - Karneval dates depend on Easter.

    "Weiberfastnacht is an unofficial holiday in the Rhineland. At the majority of workplaces, work ends before noon. Celebrations start at 11:11 am. In comparison with Rosenmontag, there are hardly any parades, but people wear costumes and celebrate in pubs and in the streets. Beueler Weiberfastnacht ("women's carnival in Beuel") is traditionally celebrated in the Bonn district of Beuel. The tradition is said to have started here in 1824, when local women first formed their own "carnival committee". The symbolic storming of the Beuel town hall is broadcast live on TV. In many towns across the state of North Rhine Westphalia, a ritual "takeover" of the town halls by local women has become tradition. Among other established customs, on that day women cut off the ties of men, which are seen as a symbol of men's status. The men wear the stumps of their ties and get a Bützchen (little kiss) as compensation." (Wikipedia)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sabine: I wonder if my suggestion was partly sub-conscious. I remember, long ago, seeing film of ties cut off but didn't know the reason. An admirable reminder to all men, especially at the moment when male status in the world (viz. Weinstein then the gymnast coach) could not be lower.

    I weep but am lucky in having Mozart and Schikaneder to sustain me:

    PAMINA (a woman)
    In men who feel love,
    a good heart, too, is never lacking


    PAPAGENO (a fella)
    Sharing these sweet urges
    is then woman's first duty


    BOTH
    We want to enjoy love
    it is through love alone that we live


    PAMINA
    Love sweetens every sorrow
    every creature pays homage to it


    PAPAGENO
    It gives relish to the days of our life
    it acts in the cycle of nature


    BOTH
    Its high purpose clearly proclaims:
    there is nothing nobler than man and woman.


    Inevitably, and as you will know, it is better in German:

    Mann und Weib... und Weib und Mann. Reichen an die Gottheit an...

    ReplyDelete