● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 27 February 2019

Report card

One of V's great skills as a teacher is judging how much praise to hand out. This makes sense. Mostly I'm following her instruction and/or copying her example and there's a limit as to how praiseworthy this is. That’s what I’m there for. If I'm serious about singing - and believe me, I'm damn serious - I should (privately) dish out my own plaudits, not as self-aggrandisement but in recognition of what's "right".

Late 2018 and early 2019 were periods of significant progress, and V has soberly recorded her approval. Not so much praise as favourable accountancy.

Last Monday V asked me unexpectedly to sing Michael Head's setting of The Lord's Prayer. (Yeah, I know it's strange. Me, an avowed atheist. But I'm also - by now - some sort of musician. And Head can get the best out of a voice.) Lord’s Prayer dates back to my first year when my as-yet undeveloped voice struggled with the higher notes:

For (big swell coming up) Thi - i - I - INE
Is the KI - I - I - INGDOM!
The POW - OW - OWER!
And the GLOR - OR - ORY!


Familiar words way up my range and which demand full wellie.

Since then I’ve tackled LP at home, improving as my voice improved. It's been months since V heard me. On Monday V's living room reverberated with the “right” notes. After just one run-through (always a good sign) V started to comment but couldn't find the right word.

I suggested "religiose" as a joke but for once V didn't laugh.

Silence. Then: “Those high notes went pretty well.”

But now I too was silent; didn't know what to say. I’m not sure I'm in it for compliments.

So how does one respond?

RR's LATEST

6 comments:

  1. I think you ought to sing that at some local churches. With good accompaniment. Sounding good, Mr. Robinson!

    Silence is often a great compliment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely try singing it wearing a habit. With your current attraction to wearing black I would suggest the Dominican Order.
    I think with your grey hair and height (with a tonsure) you would appear magnificently "religious".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marly: Straight off I loved the time you posted your comment - three minutes past midnight (though whether it's your midnight or mine I can't be sure).

    You're right about accompaniment. It's asking a lot of Tone Deaf followers to judge an a capella recording which, inevitably, leaves my voice shockingly exposed. You'll have noticed, I'm sure, a couple of points where I'm somewhat flat. The piano would have pulled me into tune.

    But how would I present myself in church? With a piece of cardboard dangling from my neck. Saying?

    "Sinner undergoing conversion."

    "The voice, at least, was God-given."

    "It's the sentiments that count. Forget the tune."

    But thanks for listening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Christians believe that all human beings are made in the image of God, so what would really be so very strange? (And they all believe that first piece of cardboard belongs around human necks...)

      So there!

      Delete
    2. Marly: Hey, those were supposed to be ironic. More realistically:

      "Those notes will always be flattish. It's his punishment."

      "What you're hearing is hubris."

      "Music of the spheres. The vulgar sort."

      God and Brad Pitt - that I can understand; a great day with the playdough. But God and me - what's in it for Him?

      Delete
  4. Avus: There's an abbey just up the road, Benedictine order. But they wear brown - just like the blankets they used to supply to those doing National Service. It's always a bit of a shock when I see one of them in Tesco.

    I was "all black" during the performance for V. Perhaps it helped.

    The word I intentionally used was "religiose" - superficially religious, especially in an affected or sentimental way. Wiki goes on to provide an example: "Verdi's Mass seems more religiose than religious." Not surprising, really, since he was an unbeliever.

    ReplyDelete