● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 22 June 2019

Is modesty good for you?

Been re-reading my earlier posts - see how pathetic my life has become.

Down the years more than one commenter has judged me guilty of "self-deprecation", always that phrase. In the nicest possible way, y'unnerstand.

Guilty, milud! What's more, the trope (First time I've used trope; I could have got it wrong.) was deliberate, the reason obvious. Adopting a self-deprecatory tone frees me from the opposite charge of self-approval. Otherwise smug, for smug is hard to sell.

Even so, I've got to pick my self-deprecatory spots. No use typing myself as ugly. For one thing I've posted portraits which prove it, for another at age eighty-three what else might one expect?

Another point. Tone Deaf's readership is much better educated than its author. Thus if I own up to being a lousy writer and frame the admission in a sentence of lapidary beauty I'll be seen immediately as a quack. And I'll deserve it.

Things can get really complicated. Seen from inside I may conclude I'm mean-spirited. Kind-hearted readers (and there aren't many of the other sort) may say this is irrelevant and proves my honesty. Self-deprecatory honesty, of course, but nevertheless a good thing.

How about this: "Circumstances force me to say I've read Joyce's Ulysses. But I deplore the implicit pat on the back." Self-deprecation is more difficult to recognise there, don't you agree?

You don't? Keep an eye on my next fifty posts, let’s see who wins.

I said I was pathetic. Should I add I’m desperate?

3 comments:

  1. This whole post overflows with your modesty, RR. Is self-deprecation a bad thing though? Not if it is genuinely felt, I think. T.E.Lawrence (of Arabia) oozed with it and was accused of "backing into the limelight". There are limits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ulysses eh? You deserve the pat on the back. Make that two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avus: The Tone Deaf commenters - I think there were three - who separately identified this tendency in me were not being critical, they were, each in his/her own way, letting me know they knew what I was up to. I was flattered I'd been subjected to such close scrutiny and a half-perceived realisation about my style of writing became more concrete.

    The danger with self-deprecation is motive. If it becomes obvious to the reader that what appears - at first glance - to be flagellation turns out to be self-inflation, then the battle is lost. Honesty is terribly important and I'm not pretending I've always managed to be honest. The question remains: is it "natural" to publicise one's faults for open consumption?

    Sabine: I have painted myself into a corner. There are many things I want to say - and, damnit, could say - about Ulysses but mustn't. The environment I've created with this post turns all of them into no-go areas.

    ReplyDelete