● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 29 January 2020

It should be involuntary (revised)

Two bloggers admitted they’d laughed aloud at comments I’d left with them. That was a relief. Being unintentionally funny can keep you awake at night.

People rarely complain at being made to laugh but it’s easier said than done. Recycling old jokes isn’t it; twice-told jokes are not twice as funny. In fact traditional jokes (“Three men go into a bar…”) should be left to curl up and die. As should others’ observations that have been around awhile. Nothing fails worse than failed humour.

Poking fun at DT is good because he hates being laughed at. No use saying his face is orange, everyone knows that. But look closer. The make-up ceases near his eye-sockets; a sort of “reverse panda” effect. There’s humour there. Be my guest, use it to make somebody laugh. They’ll thank you.

I’m always trying to make people laugh but I don’t confine myself to the man with the cheese-slicer quiff. It doesn’t always work and then I’m thought facetious. Often it’s because I haven’t pushed hard enough. Half-hearted humour is simply non-humour.

Times are bad, people moan, which leads to an excess of solemnity. Being over-serious can be counter-productive, it saps the nation’s will to live. We don’t want that, do we? Few people have laughed themselves to death. Ponder the defects of BJ: an adulterer, badly-dressed, a hairdresser’s nightmare, faults that are too obvious. However, note how his grammar/syntax goes to pieces in a tough interview. Yet the man’s classically educated and boasts about it. Aha!

Eco-headlines yet to come
Four-car family's new "electric" cuts emissions.
Glacier melts; iceberg risk reduced
Cows fart into coal company's paper bags
Trade war ends in...

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading your comments on my blog. They are almost always thoughtful, clever, unique, and yes - funny. The only time I wanted to wring your neck was when you posted a short blurb you wrote along the lines of what I had written, but it was better than mine. Now, even that memory makes me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was growing up my siblings would sing to me: Every party has a pooper, that's why we invited you, Party Pooper. You make this old party pooper laugh out loud quite often, and I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette: I vaguely remember the neck-wringing episode though not the detail. I remember saying to myself "Uh-huh, there's another gone down the toobs." This wasn't the first time I'd pushed things too far, way too far.

    Today I pondered trawling through your posts and my comments to re-establish what had happened but decided it would have been too necrological. In any case, a rapprochement was somehow fashioned, though I've forgotten how. I'm glad though.

    robin andrea: I'm not sure I'd have been sufficiently forgiving to have maintained relations. Siblings are, after all, disposable though which garbage bin would they merit? Anyway laughing's better than pooping until you really have to go. Come to think of laughter probably works the same way as California Syrup of Figs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Failed Humor is uncomfortable, I Love Comedians, but I feel a wave of compassion when one bombs. I want to be able to laugh just so that they wouldn't be humiliated and realize perhaps someone got it, or thought it as funny as they had. It would be a tough gig, I'd be terrified to go up on Stage and have to be able to entertain people in a way that would make them roll with Laughter! Of coarse, what is funny to some people is different, even in different cultures. I remember thinking that Monty Python's Flying Circus was hysterical and yet my Parents didn't necessarily find it as brilliant. I have a preference for Dark Humor, Gallow's Humor will almost always make me Laugh. When you're not being Funny intentionally, but can still make anyone Laugh, it's still a Gift. And oh my, both BJ and DT are simply too easy to mock aren't they, some high profile people are the stuff of a Comedian's wet dreams!

    ReplyDelete