● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 11 February 2021

On the Eastern Seaboard, part one

 

There’s $100 in my wallet and I’m into my third (out of six) martinis at the near-empty Plaza Hotel’s Oak Bar, NYC. A man, one-third my age, wearing oxblood slip-ons without socks, looks my way for fifteen seconds, sits next to me at the bar.

Oxblood: Brit, eh?

I nod.

Oxblood: I can always tell.

I say nothing. He waits. Says: Sheesh.

I say nothing.

Oxblood (Rising impatience): C’mon. Don’t you wanna know why?

RR: I can guess.

Oxblood (Waits): Well, guess then.

I shake my head.

Oxblood: Guy, you could be wrong.

RR: I dare say.

Oxblood: You wanna get up my nose? That’s it. Up my nose.

RR: It’s kind of on offer. Your nose, I mean. But no, I’d rather not.

Oxblood (Mumbling): Trying to be friendly.

RR: No, you’re not. This is Noo York City. You’re putting me down. Trying to. (Deep sigh) For what it’s worth, it’s the chinos.

Oxblood (Astonished): You knew!

RR: As I said, it’s The Big Apple. Predictable as winter after fall. The answer’s going to shock you, but… hey! The answer’s: every six months, sometimes longer.

Oxblood (Mouth, half-open, stays that way. The pure village idiot except this is the self-described City of Sophistication. Gulps in air, starts to stammer): I can’t… I just can’t… Look, let me get this straight. How can you…? No, first things. Is that a martini? Lemme…

RR: I buy my own drinks.

Oxblood (Struggling to smile): Kinda rude, eh? I thought you Brits were supposed to be polite.

RR: Best I pay my own way…

Oxblood: The Plaza’s not cheap.

RR: I know that. You buy me a drink, we talk, soon we argue. You get angry, call me a panhandler because you bought me the drink. New York’s so predictable.

(More follows)

7 comments:

  1. SO good! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this conversation. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette/robin andrea: Yeah, thanks. But what's likely? Who are you rooting for? Does it ring any of your chimes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a gregarious and puppy-like American.
      Scenario 1: If I was the American and you talked to me like that it would hurt my feelings. But I am a woman, and I would not go into a bar alone, let alone talk to a strange man wearing chinos.

      Scenario 2: If I were a woman alone in a bar and a man came on that aggressively, I would be annoyed and I hope I could be as rude as you to get rid of him.

      If I was a British man sitting in the Plaza bar and an American man tried to talk to me ... well, I have no idea what I'd do. It would depend on if I was in the mood for aggressively friendly Americans. But I do like your attitude in this story. A lot.

      I also wonder what you wait six months for.

      Delete
    2. It's been so long since I sat at a bar I'm not sure I'd know what to do. Back in the day, I would have simply turned my back to the guy, not wanting to engage in any way. In the scenario you describe, I am rooting for the person who is calm and has no issues with banal bar talk. Who would that be? I have no idea.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete