● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 15 August 2021

Transworld light

I’m done with surgery here, except this: it’s left me – temporarily, I hope – with blubbery uncontrolled lips. When I drink, water spills out of either end of my mouth and I have hell’s own job pronouncing p. Which would have been bearable if our beloved Samsung fridge/freezer hadn’t abruptly lost the will to chill.

VR and daughter PB (the abbreviation is Professional Bleeder, not Phlebotomist as in the previous post) embarked on getting rid of food that might otherwise rot while I made a telephone claim on the still valid warranty. Speaking to a pert Korean woman on the other side of the world.

Even if my lips had been functioning as they ought this would have been an ordeal. A model number that ran to 13 characters and a serial number that was even longer were starters. More, I learned my own spelling vocabulary long before the present one (A for alpha, B bravo, C Charlie) came into use and I must have confused my dialoguist no end. Let’s call her Kwan.

It was an ordeal and yet it ended happily. Kwan had a lot to get through. As well as the techie fridge/freezer data there were protective Covid-19 rules for the visiting engineer. Plus telephone numbers that we both had to get right. Time after time I missed certain words (I’m getting deaf in my old age); then she’d miss some of mine. Yet she persisted as I yearned for the call to end.

But when it did end I was suffused with warmth. Her patience had totally charmed me and I thanked her sincerely. Surprised, she replied nicely in her tinkling Korean way. After, I even submitted myself to a phoned questionnaire about Samsung’s efficiency.

So there was eventual light, and darkness comprehendeth it not.

2 comments:

  1. For many years I have bought all such items, plus computers and cameras, from PC World - a real, physical store down the road. I also cover my purchases with their "Knowhow" after care package. It works well (now where have I heard that phrase before...).

    Over the years they have provided me with a replacement PC monitor (after 10 years) and another DVD player/recorder, quickly with installation provided if I had needed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: This was a warranty claim, covered by the manufacturer, Samsung, not the retailer, Curry's (which also incorporates PC World). I was impressed by the procedure and the smooth way it worked despite the admin being so far away and the fact that Samsung's worldwide sales are so huge.

      When it comes to IT maintenance and repairs, however, I find PCW's services long-winded and expensive and cultivate local experts. The most important piece of my IT kit is my PC and I'm disinclined to disconnect everything and haul the PC off to a store in the city. Locals visit me; I can watch how they work in the comfort of my study and learn lessons for the future.

      Delete