● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 11 October 2021

Kaspar, the friendly fountain

Before - the conifer with over-big ideas

Now - fountains, after all, don't grow

Now here’s something unexpected for Tone Deaf – a gardening triumph! In twelve years’  blogging I’ve recorded few of those.

Note I didn’t say I was responsible. True, I did the choosing and the buying but it was Martin, my super-tough gardener, who strung it all together and made it work. Bending and lifting are not my forte these days; in fact they never were. But I’ve always been a relentless critic.

And the fact is the conifer, central feature of the Before pic, had got out of hand. Planted twenty years ago it had spread upwards and outwards, blotting out the view from the kitchen and potentially irritating the chef. Lopping off the top was misguided, made it look worse. And, to the right, the ground-cover conifer (I don’t do plant/tree names) had simply covered ground, nothing else.

Back in Kingston-upon-Thames we installed a tiny fountain in our tiny back garden.  No great spout of water, y’unnerstand, just a bubbling, tinkling sound; a beguiling comfort when late and unlamented Concord flew over our house.

This time we’ve gone a step further. A cluster of LEDs, otherwise invisible, illuminates the uprush of water, giving it a ghostly appearance at dusk. I’ll need to experiment with the camera to achieve a precise record but this will do for the moment.

I said “a gardening triumph” but I’d have to add “partial”. Among my many failures with gardening is an inability to get my head round the seasons. Fountains have only one function and that’s to provide an agreeable focus when sitting down, sipping a white burgundy that cost at least £30. But the burgundy-sipping season is past now, and true appreciation must wait until 2022.

But heck, it’s there! It works! Hedgehog or perhaps Pineapple.

Next step a snake feature.

9 comments:

  1. If it was mine it would bring back memories of Day 49 on my Land's End to John o'Groats walk: Melrose to Traquair and The Three Bretheren, 3rd June 2008, only two of them shown in the photo link below.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sgo4a8uyawdxirm/Slide058%20copy.JPG?dl=0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Hugh: You're probably unfamiliar with the cartoon series, The Simpsons. In it there's a character, Jeff Albertson, who collects comics as a hobby. One episode posits the end of the world and the significance is borne in on poor old Jeff.

      Who says to himself, "I have wasted my entire life."

      The expression on his face closely approximates that on your face as you shiver in the lee of that man-made menhir.

      Delete
  2. When we moved here, 25 years ago, I decided that the much larger area of the new gardens needed better than my usual "gardening" technique (concrete it and paint it green). So I planted trees. A silver birch in the middle of the back garden and a crab apple, a couple of conifers, American maple, blossoming hawthorn and another silver birch in the frontal areas. Also my wife wanted an arbour, to be roofed with Wisteria and hop bines.

    They all eventually died, with the exception of the Maple and the now completely roofed over (and growing) arbour. The back garden birch is sawn to a 10 foot standing trunk, now with a cross piece added to hang bird food baskets on. The remaining trees are all growing to big and getting out of hand.

    This winter, once the leaves are shed, I intend to saw off the lot at the roots (using my very essential these days electric saw) and let them all wither on the vine. I am not able any more to control nature with constant pruning/lopping and 25 years of growth are getting out of hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: I'm not entirely sure about your state of mind, before, during and after. Did growth come as a great surprise? Was sawing the secret rationale? Are you saddened or just irritated as you survey the ruins of your younger, more active life? Is there to be no satisfying replacement? How about carving one of the tree stumps into a simulacrum of a Vincent Black Lightning engine? Failing that, the egg-cup of an engine that powered (the participle is used advisedly) a 125 cc BSA Bantam?

      Delete
    2. At 58, when we moved here the idea of many trees growing and blossoming went with the new, retired from the day job, life. Even the pruning for growth and shape was enjoyable. Yes, I am both saddened and irritated.

      Now, in my dotage, and replacement would be a compact bush with a known full size. But, alas I am no longer able or inclined to get one from a garden centre, dig the planting hole and nurture it

      Even using the electric saw I doubt I could fashion the engines referred to - and why should I want to? Engines are to drive the machine, why would I need a wooden one? (although one such would probably be as useful as that BSA Bantam "power egg".

      Delete
  3. I have done some research on the name Kaspar but couldn't find anything relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Hugh: Casper The Friendly Ghost was a 1995 movie. Having just seen a marvellous Werner Herzog movie, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser, on Amazon Prime, I preferred the more Germanic spelling.

      I see robin andrea has provided a link for you in her reply below.

      Delete
  4. I like the work being done in your garden. I think Casper the Friendly Ghost would approve.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_the_Friendly_Ghost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin andrea: As Mark Twain said: "I love work. I could sit and watch it for hours."

      And here's another advantage of having a paid-for gardener. Other clients of his, with much larger gardens, are requiring him to thin out their perennials. Guess where the surplus plants are going.

      Delete