● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 24 April 2024

Odds and sods

In the House of Two Invalids nothing much changes. As a signal to the blogosphere that we’re still functioning I’m reduced to scrabbling amongst the tiniest of events.

SOCKS These days I don’t wash them; I wait til holes appear, throw them away, then open up the sock drawer. Coming upon a pair which must have formed Christmas table presents many moons ago. The sentiment is mawkish; had it been in English neither daughter would have been tempted. In French it has just enough style.

You don’t need me to translate, do you?


BRUNCH FOR VR, part one The default dish is two slices of Ryvita, spread with Philadelphia cream cheese and something added for variety. Yesterday it was peeled prawns. “Stir in a blob of mayo,” said VR. I had slight misgivings; the jar of mayo had been around for some time. I invited VR to smell it; she said it was OK. Today I checked the sell-by date. 2005! Hmm.



BRUNCH FOR VR, part two. The prawns had been stored in the freezer and had been bought this year. But does anyone have the patience to thaw frozen food with the microwave’s defroster? Ten seconds, no change. Twenty seconds, no change. Grinding my teeth I gave them twenty seconds on High with the full 650 watts. More like it. I mean, the kitchen is my slave galley these days. I hate to linger.

ENTERTAINMENT Being related to grand-daughter Bella (soon to be married), we have Netflix for free since she subscribes. Now I must pay. It’s only about £7 a month but I’ve decided I can do without. Fact is we play about 2% of what’s available. And some of that turns out to be junk.

11 comments:

  1. Philly on toast with a smearing of Bovril is a favourite lunch snack for me. The large jars of Bovril are now £5!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost 20 year old mayo and dodgy prawns defrosted in stages in a microwave? You either have a very hardy constitution or this was your lucky day. I would not repeat it. Use the money you save from cancelling netflix to get a decent delivery service and on a boring day, clear out your pantry, it's a death trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine: Gosh. If only you'd been around to advise me on my culinary carelessness much earlier in my life. That way I might have lived to a ripe old age; as it is I might not even make ninety. Two points: Why were the prawns dodgy? I didn't cancel Netflix, I was getting it free and the service was withdrawn.

      Delete
  3. I don't have a microwave so have no idea about defrosting using one. I can't imagine life without Netflix. Why Ripley alone was worth £7.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel Phillips: I get Amazon Prime free too. And with it all the BFI repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget to watch Baby Reindeer before you give it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidentally started it yesterday - I was going to advise as you have -

      Delete
  6. Rachel Phillips: "Giving up" has already happened. Involuntarily.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm both amused and horrified that your mayo was nearly 20 years old. Tell me you threw it away?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Colette: Hey, I survived, and without crippling my taste-buds. VR much more recently. Sell-by dates? A way of blackmailing customers into making unnecessary purchases. In Japan I ate hundred-year-old eggs. Black, slimy yet boring. More like blancmange.

    ReplyDelete