● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 30 September 2017

Modus vivendi

Ok, they're two fellers. But you get the idea
I like broad beans, the novels of Elmore Leonard, and impromptu conversations with French people. VR likes none of these things.

VR likes cucumber, the Ring novels and travelling on buses, all of which I detest.

Living comfortably with someone means shutting your eyes to certain antipathies. In some cases accommodating them.
I like cauliflower, VR tolerates it. VR’s favourite vegetable is spinach, I eat small amounts.

That phrase – “for better and for worse” – tends to apply to large-scale privations: the illness of a child, lack of money, unemployment. Happily such horrors are infrequent but the Pork-Pie/Debussy’s-Music Divide may endure for decades. Living together forces you to measure these smaller but nevertheless dark entities and ask: How much does this matter?

Forget the shared enthusiasms, they’re never the issue. Not flushing the toilet is more likely to loom large. I have not yet used the verb “tolerate” and don’t intend to. For me it carries the sin of self-regard. But there’s no space for that.

Why should two broadly intelligent, frequently introspective, differently brought-up people of opposing genders continue to live together long after the first thrilling glow? In some cases by ignoring each other. In others by habit. Even through fear of loneliness. None of these are inspiring reasons. One alternative is to ask: what am I getting out of this? An even harder option is: what am I putting in?

There can be small recognisable rewards. VR read A Dance to the Music of Time decades before I did; finally there was a concurrence. VR now likes string quartets.

I like Benjamin Franklin: He that falls in love with himself will have no rivals.

2 comments:

  1. And I though never of Ledaean kind
    Had pretty plumage once—enough of that,
    Better to smile on all that smile, and show
    There is a comfortable kind of old scarecrow.

    You made me think of that one!

    Sorry I took so long to answer you elsewhere--was away, far away (and now have jet lag, ugh!)

    What about friendship, the joint labor of bringing up children, shared memories (trials and sweet ones), the block-by-block building of the marriage together? I am lucky to have many tastes in common with my husband, but he developed others afterward that I don't care for--hunting in particular, though I certainly don't try to stop his interests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marly: Verse well-picked. You are the only person I know capable of benefiting from jet lag.

    The aim was to test the concept of marriage, frequently alluded to in a mish-mash of cliché. Your last sentence said it all; he's lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete