● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 15 September 2018

Two battles

Sonnet – An apology

Four thousand were at Lucton slain,
And Owen Tudor, kneeling in despair,
Soon sensed the sharpness of a loser's pain.
I note a plaque that says much blood flowed there.

A plaque proclaiming human misery,
Vile product of that awful field of bones,
I read the words and tasted irony,
Heard cries from my internal warring zones.

For I’m a conflict hosting right and wrong,
And wrong I fear has gained an upper hand,
The smell of wit has led my wits along,
A rocky route that lately saw me damned.

All words are bare and rarely plumb what’s right,
This rhyme – my plaque – may shed a little light

In 1464 The  Battle of Mortimer Cross, near Lucton, North Herefordshire, was said to be decisive in the Wars of the Roses.

4 comments:

  1. How can a person stay angry with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette: Stay angry for a little longer, you're entitled. I never saw the grievous effect the two parts of my comment would have when combined.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sonnets have matured, are more sharply felt, more gratefully received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crow: It helps when you know exactly what you want to say. Just over 90 minutes, early this morning when all was quiet.

    ReplyDelete