● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 28 December 2018

Post-Christmas lull

Easy on the toes
 
Musta costa fotune
The tide of guests flows and ebbs. Last night we were eight, tonight we are three. Last night we engaged in noisy, incompetent charades, tonight we'll probably read in silence broken only by the sound of sipping. Last night Beef Wellington, tonight spag. bol. albeit enlivened by a pinch of chili.

VR looks up from her smartphone and tells me Russian TV has sent Salisbury a chocolate model of the city's cathedral.

As a goodwill gesture!

Salisbury!

Where  KGB agents, recorded almost continuously on CCTV cameras, and subsequently identified by their fake and real names, strolled from the railway station and sought to poison two Russian natives. They failed. However their discarded poison (in a perfume aerosol) was picked up by a woman and it did for her.

More like: Yah-boo, catch us if you can.

The leg throbs and I shall shortly take a hot bath which won't do any good at all. But it will be a pleasure working the new lever taps with my toes. A step towards paradise on earth.

Far too much of The Observer’s full-colour supplement is devoted to fashion which is of no interest to me. However, flicking through the pages  some weeks ago I paused. Said to VR, “Just for once, something that appeals – a Paul Smith scarf.”  Guess what I got for Christmas. It’s gorgeous except for the fact I’ve forgotten the price, only that it was monstrous.

Blabbermouth guilt.

7 comments:

  1. The scarf looks oh-so-soft. Is it as warm as it looks, too? (I don't know who Paul Smith is, but his scarf looks well made and very pretty.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful scarf, great colors. You musta bin happy to git it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crow: It's called Rainbow Edge and is made (in Germany) from 100% merino wool. As to whether it's warm I can't say; it's far too pricey to wear.

    Some biog. Sir Paul Smith CBE RDI is a British fashion designer. His reputation is founded on his designs for men's clothing, but his business has expanded into other areas too. Smith was made a Royal Designer for Industry in 1991, and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2000.His eponymous fashion company was founded in 1970 and has expanded into over 70 countries, selling its products via standalone stores, departments in high-end stores or malls, along with airport terminals, as well as the e-commerce section of its international website.

    Was the official designer of the T-shirt for the David Bowie album 'The Next Day'

    Colette: It was the combination of colours that caught my eye - hinting at Rastafarianism. Happy, perhaps. Wisht I'da kept mah big mouth shut.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'n guude Rutsch wünsch ich Euch! Little Rouchswalwe is happy you said something ... that merino wool scarf is sweet! About a decade ago, I bought a brown knit hat for the winter (Cashmere!) at an enormous cost for me (and I didn't even have a coupon). Several years ago, the band began to unravel. In steps my dear Water Rat (who happens to knit) to offer her services. We went to a few knitting shops, found matching yarn, and she fixed it for me (that was the first time). She patched the spot last winter, too. And each time I don my warm hat, my thumb feels the spot and I think of our friendship. Cherish the scarf, lieber Robbie. Wear it! It's quality and will last and last and last ... Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. RW (zS): United by knitting, we are. Und dass ist schön..

    But there's a further link. The new Doctor Who (a series I have never seen - but I was informed by the Radio Times, our national TV guide) is played by a woman. And guess what! She wears my scarf. What a copy-cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, daß ist sehr schön! I've watched the entire first season of the new Dr. Who ... where is her accent from? I must admit to accessing the closed captioned bits on occasion ... the Culottes have got to go, though.

      Delete
  6. Nice tidy tub, lovely rainbow scarf... Now I must go look for a chocolate model of Salisbury cathedral. Haven't seen it since I was 20 so I might not recognize it, transmuted to chocolate. Milk chocolate? 85% dark chocolate?

    ReplyDelete