● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 2 December 2018

Regrets? I've had a few

This is all rather vague and, in retrospect, poignant.

Herman Bruce (formerly Helmut Bruch) joined my primary school - see pic - during the war. I remember him crying to the teacher: "X (another boy) said I was a German spy." I was slightly shocked but did nothing.

We became "school friends". Why? There was some connection between our fathers. Herman's was a confident, jolly taxi-driver with a very strong foreign accent. Before my father could acquire a car, he took the bus to work (Impossible to imagine!) and he must also have used taxis. Occasionally my father spoke to my mother about Herman's father but I cannot remember any content.

Herman, himself, had no accent though his English and his attitudes were somewhat formal. Since I liked to use big words he may have seen that as an attraction. As a scholastic dumbo I left primary school to become a fee-payer at the grammar school. Herman expected to get a scholarship to the grammar school (by then he was confident and super-articulate) and told my mother he was disappointed when he didn't. He did, however, find a place in Bradford's second-best school where my father had been educated.

Herman, I and a closer friend went on a hitch-hiking holiday to London staying at YHA hostels. One evening my friend and I submerged Herman’s spoon in his soup and watched his fruitless search and subsequent outrage. By now his superiority was beginning to irritate me and I dropped him. I think he went on to uni.

I've dropped quite a few acquaintances and never regretted the decision. But being able to piece together what I suspect is Herman's no-doubt horrific life story and remarkable emergence I feel I should have done better. This post is poor compensation.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know what became of him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have similar feelings about John Eady, a neighbour and also school friend. At grammar school he went on to get a scholarship to Oxbridge (he was good at French language) but had some kind of mental breakdown. He was put through the dreadful business of a lobotomy which scared the hell put of me. His mother desperately tried to promote continuation of our friendship, especially as John's personality had sadly changed for the worse and friends were hard to come by, but I, in cowardly fashion, dropped the connection for which I have always felt guilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colette: I scoured the Internet but the only thing I came up with was his father's naturalisation registration. Herman's name was included so I didn't merely dream him. He probably did better than me given his (presumed) formal education and his ruthless intellect.

    Sir Hugh: I'm not sure I wouldn't have done the same. The thing with Herman was I'd had enough of him at the time. It's only now I'd like to have a chat.

    ReplyDelete