● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 31 March 2019

Family stuff

Email to our elder daughter

I know Mum has already emailed saying last night's Walkure was streets better than our boxed set, even though both were put on at the NY Met and used that same shifting-planks set.

I have never been more absorbed by opera. Acts 2 and 3 just slid by and I was completely unaware of my bum. Act 1 is comparatively humdrum; Siegmund and Sieglinde fall in love and are threatened by Sieglinde's husband, Hunding. But the following acts are about big matters, the nature and dilemma of authority, the slow realisation of Wotan's obligation towards his neglected wife Fricka (fat as a medicine ball but with a voice and an expressiveness to die for), the clash of being a boss and Wotan's love for his daughter Brunnhilde, disobedience by Brunnhilde but driven by a love for what she knows to be her father's secret wishes. Finally Brunnhilde's terrible punishment. These things are complicated and require lots of dialogue. But not a word was superfluous and great music roils and bellows in support. Much of this is credit to Wagner but all the performers were deeply in tune with what he wanted to say.

I was halfway there with our boxed-set Walkure. Last night took me way beyond, a perfect demonstration of what voices and instruments can do. Perhaps I suspected why - if subconsciously - learning to sing would have unexpected as well as expected benefits. Music that tangible thing.

The tickets were a good idea raised to the power of n (where n is a very large number). Thanks.

Dad

3 comments:

  1. I love this email for so many reasons ... !

    ReplyDelete
  2. RW (zS): Reckon you'd have loved the performance - the extremes of sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ja! Der Robbie kennt mich gut!

    ReplyDelete