● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 10 April 2019

Gone!

Other than Solitaire and Freecell VR isn't given to computer-related entertainment. But elder daughter, Professional Phlebotomist, is presently staying with us and she inveigled VR into something  which may or not be called Rock Craze, an obscure if far less energetic variant of Geo-Caching.

The rock (actually more of a pebble), artistically decorated and labelled, was placed fairly prominently on a shelf close to the entrance of Hereford Cathedral, after which the pair of them sauntered inside for pious cups of coffee. When they re-emerged the rock was gone.

The consequences of this simple task are of no interest to me. But I am surprised that VR was willing to be photographed "playing the game" as it were. Positively un-English I'd say. To get the full effect you'll need to click on the montage above.

8 comments:

  1. Brexit victims desperate for attachment to anyone. Probably unknowingly playing with Brexiteers, who are just into the game because they are goof balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Edsbath: Could be. Perhaps it was Theresa May - or her representative here in the Welsh Marshes - who collected the (politically neutral) stone. Perhaps she is, at this very moment, cuddling it for comfort, back from Brussels and yet another humiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gone so quickly? Perhaps a very efficient Cathedral verger was tidying up and saw it as litter.

    There seems to be a current craze around the local pebbly beaches around New Romney of painting pebbles and leaving them in visible locations. My great grandchildren enjoy looking for them. Seems an innocent occupation and better than being glued to screens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen these dotted about in my travels and I know little more than you. I eventually got bored with Geocaching, but that may come back again sometime. A similar activity involves making little decorated fairy doorways into holes and niches in tree trunks. Just to brighten your day I'll photograph the next I see and put it on my blog just for you and VR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen those down South (where I have been for the past month+) for some years now... They often appear in public walking places like greenways along a river. Sometimes they are bigger rocks and have messages underneath to photograph the rock, leave it somewhere else, and put the picture and location found on a certain online page that follows the rock's travel adventures. (Rather like the wandering garden gnome and postcards in the movie Amélie.)

    I remember my daughter painting rocks in school, so maybe it was just a step from painting them to hiding them like Easter Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun. Many people paint rocks and leave them around my small (and very quaint) downtown here in Central Florida. It always makes me happy to find them, and reminds me that I need to do this activity with my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once had a very large pebble on the path my the front gate with the message painted on it, "Please turn me over". On the reverse was, "Thank you, that's much better!"

    I would inspect and "obverse" it but nearly always found it "reversed" when I next looked. It provided harmless fun and exercise for callers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Avus 1: "Glued to screens". Compared with great-grandpa who went out and governed New South Wales in his youth (Lit. quote.) . Do you enjoy being the Great Censorious One?

    Sir Hugh: As I hope I made clear the rest of the process was of no interest. It was VR's reaction that surprised me and I decided the photo deserved wider promulgation.

    Colette: I must have led a sheltered life. Having only found sermons in stones (Lit. quote.).

    Avus 2: When the caller passed eventually through your portal was it more or less fun than stone-turning on the path?

    ReplyDelete