● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 22 April 2019

Magic, readily available

Blogs require raw material, ideally in the form of discovery. But suppose old age has brought you to the point where history greatly outweighs the expectation of anything new? You recycle your history, of course. Shuffle the facts, re-adjust the lighting, and raise the curtain on an updated anecdote.

I first blogged in 2008 and had lots to say about gearboxes and other nuts-and-bolts matters. But in 2008 I was 73 and already into recycling. One huge change (music) lay ahead but I wasn't to know that. Instead I was practising what the French call réchauffage, most familiarly the reheating of edible leftovers, less familiarly plagiarism.

There is, however, an alternative. Commenting elsewhere I made reference to the first short story I ever wrote when I was probably about ten. Doodling in time's minestrone I suddenly realised that made me Adolf Hitler's contemporary. Until, that is, his career was cut short by some unwise decisions.

That new alternative is imagination. With it I may liberate myself from the past's dull grinding-mills. I slip into Adolf's kitchen where he's preparing a vegetarian meal, whisper that his present policies will end in tears, that he'd be better off writing a book other than Mein Kampf. Why not Europe Goes Meatless? "It will," I say, "sell millions." Neglecting to add "by the time the oughties roll around." Were he still lecturing about tofu he'd be 130 but imagination easily resolves that inconsistency.

Imagination – such a powerful device! I find to my horror Huw Edwards will be spuming away at the Hay Festival for which I've already bought nearly seven-hundred-quid's-worth of tickets. A little invention added to a time warp and I'd have him reduced to a Noncomformist lay preacher based in Merthyr Tydfil.

Are you unhappy? I could imagine your happiness.

4 comments:

  1. The creative imagination is the best vacation, the greatest escape. And having a long past to draw from is a definite plus. You once said that only Americans expect to be happy (or something like that). Did you? Or am I just imagining that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette: Americans' happiness is, to some extent, enshrined in their Declaration of Independence. What you quote reflects my belief (and I am childishly elated to be associated, even if turns out erroneously, with such an apercu) but Thomas Jefferson should get the credit.

    However beware. When you try to dissect this national goal you find yourself faced with a hairball. For one thing it demands a vital qualification - "provided such happiness is not at anyone else's expense". My thesaurus quotes glee and ecstasy as synonyms which may worry some puritans. Also to pursue happiness is not the same thing as expecting it. Finally a form of happiness may find itself written into certain types of legislation; for many years movies were forbidden to suggest that the baddie got away with his crime; the ostensible argument was that this would otherwise encourage criminality. My belief (secret until now) was that those in charge felt that US moviegoers needed a feelgood factor to prevent them bursting into tears.

    Sorry to appear niggly but "having a long past to draw on" is almost the opposite of being imaginative. Otherwise we're back to recycling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your picture of Huw Edwards as a Welsh minister. I imagine he would be a perfect fit for the character of the Rev. Eli Jenkins in Dylan Thomas's "Under Milk Wood". In the 1971 film this character was beautifully played by Aubrey Richards, a delightful Welsh actor.

    If you run into him at Hay you might mention this - it might open up a whole new stage career for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avus: In fact my HE fantasy was nearer the truth than you might suspect. Here's what he'll spume about at Hay:

    Edwards traces the history and cultural significance of London’s Welsh churches and examines the origins of the London Welsh, the pattern of Welsh migration to London past and present, and the influence of the Welsh religious figures and causes in London...

    Y darlledwr adnabyddus Huw Edwards yn olrhain hanes ac arwyddocâd diwylliannol eglwysi Cymraeg Llundain, etc, etc

    ReplyDelete