● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 24 February 2020

Upbringing updated








Keighley News district office
Myrtle Place, Bingley, West Yorkshire
1959


Impatience was my driven clockspring then,
Wound tightly by my adolescent need,
I yearned for girls but, even more, I sought
A better smithy for my wordsmithing.

A disliked workplace but, if truth be known,
That modest valley town was innocent,
A yardstick for the things that were to come,
An anvil base on which to shape and bend.

But youth confinèd to a teenage cell,
Finds just the bars and, through them, discontent,
Sees vaguest vistas of a sexual sort,
Dreams stories only wisdom may create.

I took the southern road, without goodbyes,
Swearing to flush these details down the tubes,
And found a wider, more rewarding world,
Plus all the doubtful gains of adulthood.

Yet, like dull bricks that built the house I own,
That old dull Place helped build the life I’ve led,
There’s time and space and even patience now,
The fire aspires and words gain relevance
.
What of that town that I once deemed to hate,
That sleeps, unhated, four hours’ drive up north?
Do lichens grow, are folks content, roads straight
But quaint? Adornment for my mantelpiece?

3 comments:

  1. Have you been back recently to look over the old haunts? I suppose wondering is poetic, but a visit might inspire more verse. How long has it been?

    ReplyDelete
  2. MikeM: Not recently and never willingly. The round trip would take 7 hr 40 min (415 miles). But I have travelled there very recently in my imagination. In my short story, AYLI descanted, the physical persona of Jane, who plays Rosalind, was born out of a local resident. I'm sure she would welcome the resurrection I have provided; she looked like that in 1959 and it would be interesting to see which of the two of us has worn the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is ready -

    Plus, making profit with it is as simple as 1..2..3!

    Here's how it all works...

    STEP 1. Tell the system what affiliate products you intend to promote
    STEP 2. Add PUSH BUTTON TRAFFIC (it LITERALLY takes 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. See how the system explode your list and sell your affiliate products for you!

    So, do you want to start making profits??

    Click here to start running the system

    ReplyDelete