● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 16 May 2020

Earth, incidentally

I walk deserted streets where cars are immobilised in driveways, houses look unused and it's unnaturally quiet. I sense tranquillity. But has tranquillity a use? Why not review international minutiae from my past?

I'm travelling one of many escalators in a huge department store in Tokyo looking for a novel by Graham Greene. Two parts of my life overlapping.

The tram taking me from a suburb of Pittsburgh to the city centre must be fifty years old. It growls and squeals like a herd of pigs entering an abattoir.

Cycling home to Stoke Newington, a north London suburb, I see a sign - Eggs: 1s 10d/doz. Resuming, with the eggs uneasily contained in a paper bag, is harassing.

We break the flight to New Zealand by staying overnight at a hotel in Kuala Lumpur. The swimming pool simulates a jungle grotto; I swim under dangling lianas.

Slivovitz is sold by the roadside between Opatija and Novi Vinodolski in what was Jugoslavia. It is frighteningly cheap. Inevitably we drink too much.

A secretary brings a trayful of expressos into the office of a managing director in Milan. Her long hair is dyed a deep copper colour I've never seen before. I am stirred.

I read a book as I dine alone in an authentic brasserie in southern Paris. Conversation around me is close to the threshold of pain yet I am at peace. Tranquil, even.

Breakfast in Cologne. A middle-aged woman works a laptop and I ask her opinion on Brexit. A Danish academic; she disapproves.

My only visit to Spain, the location forgotten. I sit in a beachside café while English pensioners shuffle past on a boardwalk, the living dead.

Today, here: A ravishing smell from the kitchen. Chilli on the hob. A fact worth recording.

8 comments:

  1. I love reading these brief and evocative moments. Each a story, condensed like a clicked photo. Makes me want to try something like this, but I have not traveled the world. Mmm what could I write about? I'll ponder that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. robin andrea: The material need not be exotic. Our lives are full of tiny details, passing thoughts, new opinions that are unique to us. Presenting them vividly is a matter of style and avoiding cliché. Thus a gorgeous sunset turns out to be something other than a pretty sight.

    Some rules. Keep it short, the longest of these is 28 words; brevity is often a test of what is memorable. Look for unexpected comparisons (eg, the sunset that evokes a horror movie). If you're up for it, consider ambitious language (eg, pigs at the abattoir). Distrust first instincts; these are often banal. Convert the commonplace:

    Opposite me in the dentist's waiting room were a mother (thoughtful) and her small daughter (playing with a plastic toy). The adult knowing what lay ahead, the child thankfully not.

    The experience is familiar; your comment makes it less familiar. It's 30 words. Remove "opposite me", "plastic", replace "knowing what lay ahead" with "knows the future". The prose may then be awkward - the rhythm lost - and may need tweaking.

    Imagination, effort and persistence and you may have something that has never existed before. Hey, we all want to proclaim our individuality. What better way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roderick-- I just took a nice walk in the early morning sun, thinking about some experiences that might be condensed into imaginative prose. Working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. robin andrea: Best of luck. One final bit of advice: revision deserves at least as much time as the initial draft.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made me want to put Kuala Lumpur on the ole Bucket List... but then I Googled it, I think I'll stick to Bora Bora remaining the Fantasy destination! *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bohemian: Hey, it was just a hotel swimming pool. I doubt anyone goes to KL for a holiday; my previous visit, fifty years ago, was in an armed convoy on the way to a hospital where, it was hoped, my case of athlete's foot would clear up. It didn't, they had to send me back to Blighty for that. When I said an "armed" convey I should have said only the soldier patients were given rifles. I was with the RAF (Royal Air Force) and it was thought that arming me would prove to be more of a threat to the convoy than the terrorists skulking in the jungle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A minimalist odyssey, with a fragrant reward at the end. Or, in this case, at the beginning. Could be set to music?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie: A scattering of trivia made slightly more exotic by the locations. Proof that I wasn't always a round-shouldered anchorite living in the back of beyond.

    ReplyDelete