● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 29 May 2020

Here's to good health

Last night at eight the street stood on their thresholds and clapped a tribute to the NHS and other key workers. Possibly for the last time. I hope the NHS doesn't take this as a signal to withold future treatment.

Richy, our neighbour, has added to these occasions by playing carefully selected songs through the hi-fi of the caravan parked in his drive. Those I can remember are: We'll Meet Again (Vera Lynn), Land of Hope and Glory (Probably the audience at a Proms concert), Sing As We Go (Gracie Fields), There'll Always be an England (Anon).

Richy knew exactly what was needed - songs which almost everybody had heard before and could at least hum. Familiar and simple, musically on a par with Happy Birthday. My choices would have ruined the event.

But what would I have chosen? Music that represented England but avoided Brexit's angry isolationism. The oldest, perhaps: Summer is Icumen in.

No need to be serious: Noel Coward wasn't serious in The Stately Homes of England. But - to my horror - I find one line is antisemitic. So no-go.

How about another oldie (17th century): Over the Hills and Far Away.

The introduction to Fairest Isle (Notes: Henry Purcell; words, poet laureate John Dryden; soprano, Anna Dennis) is subdued but the melody is glorious

Or perhaps the best (ie, the most philosophical) song from World War One: Pack up your troubles. (Note the horrific words of encouragement from the nurse.)

11 comments:

  1. Such a diverse offering. I enjoyed watching and listening to every one. Now I'm going to go look for the other ones that Richy played.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vera Lynn! Wow. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsM_VmN6ytk

      Delete
    2. Colette: You may have met this song by this performer before, albeit several decades ago. Stanley Kubrick includes it - with heavy irony - at the end of one of the greatest anti-war movies ever, Dr Strangelove, Or How I Learnt to Stop Worrying and Love The Bomb. A comedy, for goodness sake!

      Delete
    3. Collete: I should stress - because he's a great pal - I wasn't trying to compete with Richy. He was trying to unite a group of people who didn't necessarily know each other too well - this is often the case with British neighbours. And Richy's choices were all on the button. My aims were personal and the result of thinking about England in this context for the first time. I am not an instinctive patriot. Also, although two of my choices could have been sung publicly without accompaniment, the other two required trained singers and some orchestra.

      Delete
  2. Sir Hugh: No, I'm not into patriotic bombast. Viz:

    We ne'er see our foes but we wish them to stay,
    They never see us but they wish us away;
    If they run, why we follow, and run them ashore,
    For if they won't fight us, what can we do more?


    I leave that to the Brexiteers who decided it would be better to do without PPE rather than get involved in an EU-wide scheme to produce them on a grand scale. Said they'd not received the email which turned out to be untrue. Besides, the tune too is primitive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar incident as you may have had with "Noel Coward"
    I was on Hereford Hospital Radio, a lovely sunny morning. So decided I should play "The Sun Has Got It's Hat On".
    I could not find it in the system, so I just logged into youtube, found an original recording & played it live over the airwaves. Oh dear, A very big mistake!
    Let's just say I never played any song again without ensuring I knew all the words first! ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Richy: I was astonished. Noel Coward isn't as popular as he used to be but there was a period when he was never off the radio. I've heard this together with Don't Put Your Daughter on the Stage Mrs Worthington, and Mad Dogs and Englishmen Go Out in the Midday Sun many many times. Plus, more recently, a decidedly risqué version of Cole Porter's Let's Do It:

    Teenagers squashed into jeans do it,
    Probably will live to see machines do it


    The question arises: Was Stately Homes played with this line included and we just didn't notice it, or was a bowdlerised version produced? I have no idea. I could have done my post and not mentioned the song at all but I'd like an answer to this question, although I suppose it will have to come from someone of my age.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a diverse offering. I enjoyed watching and listening to every one. Now I'm going to go look for the other ones that Richy played.buy pills online

    ReplyDelete
  6. Healthcare Professionals Competency Testing (HPCT) is a certifying agency that offers national certifications to allied healthcare professionals including Surgical Technicians, Clinical Medical Assistants, Medical Administrative Assistants, EKG technicians, Patient Care Technicians, Pharmacy Technicians, Phlebotomy Technicians, and Sterile Processors. With HPCT, Surgical technologists are able to sit for their national certifying examination before the completion of their scrubs. Surgical Technicians perform various tasks before, during and after surgery. They ensure an infection-free environment during surgery. They also make sure the surgeon's needs during surgery are met to ensure a safe environment for the patient. Visit  surgical tech national test

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really very nice post you shared, i like the post, thanks for sharing.. https://visualaidscentre.com/lasik-eye-surgery/

    ReplyDelete