● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Tuesday 20 October 2020

Horror of horrors

As if a pure white
fountain, or an
egret's feather
sprouted from 
his head

Should one confront nightmares or just roll over in bed?

Trump may win!

Aarrgh! Nausea as reflux. And yes, my dear, that was the last sheet of toilet paper. But what’s your view of hell?

LYING. We all do it, sometimes claiming the lie is “white”. But not casually. With blatant self-interest. To the accompaniment of imaginary trumpets. Facing irrefutable facts, Contradicting an assertion made in the previous sentence. Through cherubically pursed lips. With hand gestures that suggest a nose-picker in private.

LADDISHNESS IN AN ADULT. Something he should have grown out of. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink about sexual matters. Disregarding society’s discrimination against women, blacks, gays, the poor, the dead. Contempt for the law, worthwhile tradition and quietude.

STUNTED VOCABULARY. Whingeing about being asked “nasty” questions, Being unspecific; unaware that “bad” tells us nothing. And a touching if somewhat imperfect understanding of the superlative form of the adjective: “We gonna have the greatest (Economy, Trade War, Pandemic – fill in your preference) the world has ever seen.”

IMPOLITENESS. Sounds like a minor defect, doesn’t it? Yet he behaves like a man who bumps through social gatherings with his belly. Interrupting others to obscure the dialogue. Remember how he hovered over poor Hilary in the debates, like a swarm of wasps. How small, inoffensive islands – in the Caribbean, was it? – were described as “shitty”. Not that it matters to him but he has another type of image problem outside the USA.

DODGINESS. Denying the US Post Office the cash to process postal votes. Making a crony head of the USPO. The small matter of tax-paying obligations. Self-confessed groping. Continuous firing as an expression of amateur management. Attempting to push Mar-el-Lago as a venue for the G7 meeting – and charge for it. Time spent playing golf. Russia, ah yes, Russia – what dark tales yet to be told?

17 comments:

  1. "Russia, ah yes, Russia – what dark tales yet to be told?"

    The darkest of dark...darker than pitch and just as malodorous.

    I voted on Friday, right after my postman dropped the mail-in ballot material in my mailbox. Take that, DRT (pronounced `Dirt'), you oozing bag of putrid hate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow: I envy you your feeling of being partly shriven - for the moment.

      Delete
  2. Sir, I do believe you are being too kind. I would prefer to one of the colonies again, then to succumb to the Orange Menace for one day longer. Hopefully handcuffs and US Marshalls will be waiting at the bottom of the steps for just one...of his many transgressions. He's always been a pig, a liar, a self-effacing mongrel of a boy, who never has been properly chastised in his entire life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: I needed to put it in my own words and according to my own standards. I wondered if there was any benefit in confronting the nightmare and there is one - a confirmed cluster of like-minded friends.

      Delete
  3. I don't know what I will do if he wins again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: Yes it's unbearable isn't it? I wondered if there were any advantages in spelling out the horror - proof, perhaps, of an intellect at work. I did enjoy typing him as a nose-picker.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Tom: I remember the UK newspapers at the time: strung up by his heels in what looked like a rose arbour. But out of pure self-interest I've never wished death on El Trumpo. There are too many madmen abroad who would turn him into a martyr.

      One could perhaps imagine Il Duce's thoughts at the time: a shrug of the shoulders, saying "This kind of thing goes with the territory." More difficult to make a guess at Clara Petacci's, "Stop this right now! This really isn't funny."

      Delete
    2. And the stringers-up had the good grace to tuck his missus's skirts into her knickers. That's Catholics for you.

      Delete
  5. That sums it up horribly well. We are in dire straits here if that monster steals another election.

    ReplyDelete
  6. robin andrea: I don't think I expected any comfort from all this. The fact is I see him through rather specially prescribed spectacles. Out of all his offences, most of them far more awful, I hated him profoundly for what he did to our common language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's typing from a battleground state ... my cohort and I are mobilised and actively informing those with absentee ballots in hand to turn them in through the local county Board of Elections (where there is a contactless drive through deposit box). Basta!
    I agree with you, Robbie. Our common language needs relief. These past four years have been a nightmare in so many ways. Enough already!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps even worse than the thought....banish banish the thought...that this gangster might still be occupying the White House another four years is the absolutely UN..BE..LIE..VABLE fact that so many people still adore him, in spite of his blindingly obvious criminality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Natalie: I'm just as horrified as you are by the prospect. But Freudian analysis will tell us that we don't get anywhere by banishing the thought; it merely pops up elsewhere, sometimes in a seemingly unrelated form. As I said at the beginning: do we confront our nightmares or take dubious comfort from closing our eyes to them? I have previously raised the point that half the US electorate - or, at least, half of those who vote - are pro-Trump. I lived in the USA for six years; I'm glad that was then and not now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lived in the States from age nine to approximately twenty-two, with temporary stays in other countries, and I've been back quite a few times since but the current state of the USA is so alien that whatever "Americanism" rubbed off on me during our close relationship has now almost completely vanished. This doesn't mean that I've lost a deep and permanent affection for individual Americans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie: Glad you reminded me. The largest group (by nationality) of commenters on Tone Deaf is from North America.

      Delete