● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 15 October 2020

Wanna end it? Either way

Here’s the prologue to a story about the possibility of love, stripped bare, its resolution not the issue.

A 46-year-old single woman and a 23-year-old man have a social relationship: they attend classical music events together. That’s it. How this occurred is not explained. The age difference is never referred to and seems unremarkable.

But the woman feels age will become a factor and end their friendship. And that this can be held at bay provided there is no hint of physical attraction. On her own behalf she decides to suppress this happening. Optimistically, you may say.

They have attended a concert consisting of Beethoven late quartets, music of great intensity. The performance – by the Takacs – has been profound and both are moved. Reflecting on what she has heard the woman realises her friend’s presence has enhanced the experience.

He questions her self-absorption and she explains, partially. Unable to utter “physical attraction” she reluctantly opts for “fallen in love”. His face remains emotionless and he asks her to elaborate.

She says she spent time and money in the hair salon this morning. She’d done this before other concerts and never thought twice. However, this time she’d examined herself in the salon mirror and the music reminded her (“rather smugly, I must confess”) she’d thought her appearance would surely meet his approval.

“So love demands approval?” he says.

“It was a step in the wrong direction,” she says firmly.

As I say, this is just a précis. The full account of this bit would swell from 300 words to 1500 words, at least, and the characters would, I hope, take on life. And yes, I have an ending in mind. But does this situation deserve an ending?

8 comments:

  1. Separation. Occasional encounters at events they both would attend on their own, regardless. Sometimes involvement (platonic but pleasurable) with other more "age appropriate" men for her; with women of no particular age group for him.

    Some time (weeks, months?) passes, they reconnect over coffee/tea/wine...

    Oh, heck! This is beginning to read like a pitch for a Hallmark television special.

    I quit.

    But I look forward to reading what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, something that caught my eye...you need to perhaps alter...(“So love demands approval?” he says.)

    Is it a question or a statement? This certainly would twist the way of it for me. His ideas of a relationship might be entirely different than hers. The age old story can men and women be friends?

    I had what I always thought was a dear friend/unrequited love from schooldays. Yet, we re-connected at age 58 and 14 years later, now, I can say YES, men and women can be friends--deep friends. Love has many shades. Depends on what the question/answer you want to pose and solve or not solve. And it could be better than a Hallmark TV movie, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This seems like it could be real. It could happen this way. This is how an older woman might fuss over the strangeness of having a young male friend, a relationship that doesn't really have norms. And she notices she wants to look good for him. It's all so complicated. Falling in love is so not the same as physical attraction. I wonder if she feels love. If not, then that's definitely a step in the wrong direction to speak of it. She's now planted the seed and he will not know whether to believe her or not if she pulls back. But then again, his reaction was also interesting. I found his remark ("So love demands approval?" to be provocative and thoughtful. Especially from a young man who might not have ever fallen in love. Is he flirting, or is he questioning someone he assumes is older and wiser? I wonder what he has been thinking, if at all, about her. Yeah, I'm intrigued. Let's see where this goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All: Comments are rare these days. I look for new ways of reaching out to the imagination of others. Also I don't sleep well these days, don't need to sleep. Two nights ago, five-ish in the morning, I came up with this framework (that's all it is; it needs to be written out as prose) and a handful of endings. I decided to post what I'd got for wider consideration. In writing it out from memory in note form - as you see - other developments, modifications (one quite radical) and embellishments suggested themselves - they always do, that's what attracts me to fiction. I was dissatisfied with the void the man had become but decided this would be dealt with later.

    This morning, at about the same time and still in bed, I turned against the whole project. Saw it as whimsical and decided to delete the post.

    But I hadn't allowed for your prompt and active imaginations, bless you all. Your interest was unfeigned and one particular suggestion (To identify it would be invidious) flashed a light on the situation that I - a male - could never have arrived at. I will complete the story.

    One caveat. Expanding the basic notes, adding flesh to the plot and the characters, may well interfere with your initial perceptions of the story's bare bones. But, I hope, not betray them. Feel free to complain if this happens. I won't be entirely in control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most romantic fiction is written by formula and by women. A serious story from a man's point of view is always an eye-opener, and seldom formulaic and then far more interesting. Please write on...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra: I wrote the story and it now appears as the next post. Those who chose to respond attached their comments to the story; I briefly missed your slightly later comment here.

      In fact you have gone to the heart of my fiction writing. My first serious novel (Gorgon Times) is an intertwined story involving two engineers, one a man, the other a woman. In writing it, and despite the fact that the initial impulse was linked to the man, I found I enjoyed writing about women more. The subsequent three novels (the second being my best so far) all have women as the central character. As does the fifth which is still only half finished and I've struggled with for ages.

      My only published poem (I prefer "verse" for modesty's sake) also had a very famous woman at the core.

      I intend to "write on" (and to "sing on" but that's a different matter) and at age 85 I see no reason to change my preferences. Thanks for your perceptive comment.

      Delete