● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 1 November 2020

The other US: Say it ain't so, Joe


 Why the US must be saved from the abyss - a personal view

☼ The moon was but a chin of gold
A night or two ago,
And now she turns her perfect face
Upon the world below.
– Emily Dickinson

☼ Basket catch at Forbes Field by Roberto Clemente

☼ Joyce DiDonato: mezzo in excelsis, teacher, wit

☼ Zinfandel, once a house red, now something grander.

☼ Andrew Cuomo, NY governor. For political honesty

☼ But how strange, the change
From major to minor.
– Cole Porter

☼ Sublime sleaze of the Larry Sanders Show

☼ FDR - a traitor to his class. How bloody ironic.

☼ Wynton Marsalis (tpt): Telemann to bop.

☼ Fall.

☼ …Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone, he told me, just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had. – The Great Gatsby.

☼ Two martinis, a lobster, bottle of “California Chablis”, a plastic apron. Klein’s restaurant, Pittsburgh.

☼ Jewish Y, Pittsburgh: Classical music’s stars for peanuts.

☼ By Continental Trailways the length of Pennsylvania to a new job.

☼ Leonard Bernstein on Melody.

☼ Groundhog in our garden.

☼ Gore Vidal vs. William Buckley Jnr on TV

☼ Weight of the NY Times, Sunday edition.

☼ Mount Lebanon’s public library.

☼ How long it would take to spend Citizen Kane’s wealth

☼ Simone Biles defying gravity

☼ Never open a book with weather. First of Elmore Leonard’s Ten Rules for Good Writing.

☼ Cardinal in our garden

☼ To create out of the materials of the human spirit something which did not exist before. Faulkner

☼ Air conditioning.

☼ Star of The Wire – Baltimore!

☼  I was raised to be charming, not sincere. Stephen Sondheim

☼ Snapper soup before it was politically incorrect. With sherry.

☼ Rarity of filling stations among the redwoods

☼ Paradoxical disappointment of Niagara Falls

☼ Stopping grounders with my own glove.

☼ Willingness of youngish, corn-fed woman to kiss me. Socially, of course.

☼ Price of gas.

☼ How easy it was to pass the driving test.

☼ When Obama was elected: the glow.

☼ For fun at the diner: name the states, name the state capitals

☼ In the 1980s, discovering the north-west wines.

☼ There will be no whitewash at the White House. Little did he know (tee-hee). But – and it was a big but – he invited the Ellington band to play there and clearly enjoyed them.

☼ Undefined sadness as the radio antenna of the SS France, travelling east, seemed almost to scrape the underside of the Verrazano Narrows bridge.

☼  Exhuming all these memories – and more – via blogging. 

13 comments:

  1. I think you know my country better than most of its citizens. So, which do you prefer a nice Zinfandel or a Chablis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin andrea: It is said the onlooker sees most of the game. I arrived there well primed; that beats getting born there.

      Your second sentence carries a loaded question; you'll notice my reference to Californian Chablis carried quotes. Meaning so-called. I am not sure such a label would be legal now; the French are very touchy about other countries claiming to create wines from specific areas in France. But I wasn't being snooty; that meal I cited was several times repeated and hugely enjoyed.

      As to choosing, it's horses for courses. Zinfandel with meat, Chablis with fish, especially oysters.

      Thanks for the compliment. What I was trying to do was spread as wide a net over US culture as I was familiar with. Many people think the word refers solely to incomprehensible poems, symphonies lasting an hour and Cubist paintings. It's much more than that and I was hungry for everything.

      Delete
  2. Your posts on America have made me homesick. Thank you.

    And thank you for Leonard's first rule. I googled it and found The Gotham Writers page; I've subscribed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crow: Homesickness is often thought to be malady; it's merely a longing. My job, as I saw it, was to remind the anti-Trumpists of things that might get forgotten in these feverish times. I could have easily tripled the length of the list. One of the omitted items could have been: Crow's acerbic responses to posts in Works Well/Tone Deaf.

    Don't forget the other nine rules. And remind yourself that Elmore Leonard writes better dialogue than anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your reminders of the good about the good America are a balm to my disquiet soul.

    Re: acerbic responses: Yes, so do I. I seem to have lost that woman sometime in 2014. Please know that I near always read your blog even if I no longer know how to respond regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow: Intermittent signs of life are all I need. Anything else is a bonus.

      Delete
  5. ...sorry for the typo in the first sentence. At least I didn't open with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snapper soup is politically incorrect? My understanding is that we gobbled up so many PCB laden turtles that there is now a shortage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MikeM: I must have misremembered a comment you made over a year ago. About turtles' position in the food chain. How do PCBs fit in? You make it sound as if we (humans) are poisoning ourselves. Regrettable, of course, but a self-resolving tendency.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do love a good list. As Bob Hope might have sang, "Thanks for the Memory" Memories in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: As I said it could have been three times as long.

      Delete
  9. Yes, much to recall that is Good... especially when things look so Dark and Bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bohemian: 1971 the Pirates won the series in the seventh game. I was so stressed I took a drive down the West Virginia Panhandle and didn't turn on the car radio until the end of the sixth innings. And the names still ring out like bells: Pagan, Stargell, Clemente, Pagliaroni, Mazerowski, Alley, Blass.

    ReplyDelete