● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 17 April 2021

By prior invitation

 Death has its disadvantages

I doubt my funeral will attract a crowd
Although there will be those who - wounded
In past spats - will look for confirmation
That I’ve gone; that rudeness, cruel words and
Residue of northern angst are flown.

Obsequies are a time for spending less,
For my remains I’d choose a cardboard box,
A makeshift casket, straight from Amazon.
Garbage to garbage would be my excuse,
And yes the oven’s cheaper than the earth.

The eulogy? Who might I trust? I fear
No fibs, just glaucous words like “condolence”. 
Death’s awesome, not a reason to be bored,
No licence for a cliché avalanche,
No hollow tones, no sickly sentiment.

I’ll write the guff myself and keep it brief,
What’s needed could be done in thirty words:
He failed at school, wrote for the fun of it,
Then married well and, quite surprisingly, 
Helped bring two girls into this surly world.

So there we are in that departure lounge,
Blonde wood and cheerless secularity 
The chatter/mutter’s got to be suppressed
And music’s excellent for such a chore,
What’s more I know a rousing tune or two.

But here’s the snag. I’ll be there only
In an ineffective way. My index
Finger distant from the button labelled Play.
Others may brush aside my Schubert songs
My Mozart, Dowland, all my comfort zones.

As I’m converted into falling ash,
And Michael Bublé helps pollute the air,
They’ll nudge and wink and walk off to their cars,
“He would have hated that, no doubt,” they’ll smirk,
The living tend to have the final word.

7 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. I've been thinking lately about writing my own obituary, but it didn't occur to me to write a eulogy. That's probably because I don't expect a funeral. Not sure why. I just think someone will scatter my ashes in the ocean and simply wave good bye. There's a local online newspaper here that has the best obituaries I've ever read. A family member writes down the words, tells the stories, shares the laughter and tears. It's why I want to write my own. I have no children, but I've got a few tales to share. Now I'm going to consider a eulogy... or not. I'll have to think about it. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin andrea: Eulogies set out to praise their subject highly; when eulogiser and subject are one and the same, the words must steer a careful path. In your usually silent heart of hearts you may regard yourself as gorgeous and a high intellectual. And why not? You do live in California and that gives you a head start. But how should these claims be expressed? One way is to shift the blame, as with: "People have said I am, etc, etc." Just in case someone in the congregation says: "Name one of them." you could take out an insurance policy: "People, now dead, have said, etc, etc."

      To turn this into a cast-iron, impregnable statement, how about: "People, now sadly dead, have said, etc. etc." (Pause) "I have always disputed this."

      And then go on to discuss the weather. Any further advice I'm afraid I must charge for

      Delete
    2. Roderick-- You made me laugh out loud. Perhaps this comment should be read at my non-existent funeral. I'll let you know, or perhaps I won't be able to ... being dead and all of that. I'll figure something out.

      Delete
  2. In the great scheme of things nothing matters, does it?

    I shall not have a funeral. No one is going to say anything about me, unless in private.As Rupert Brooke has it,
    "Nor with smug breath tell lies of death
    To the unanswering dead."

    By one phone call my dead shell will collected, taken away and burnt. My only request is that my ashes are returned and scattered at a designated spot. Even that last relies on a living person to do it and if it does not happen I shall not be there to care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: Coupla points I need to discuss. No one has yet come out and said I am not part of the great scheme of things. Until someone does I prefer the contrary view. Why else would I maintain a blog? I'm taking advice from Domenic Cummings. His rates - these days - are remarkably cheap.

      As to saying with certainty what's going to happen at your own funeral, I advise caution. Especially if you're thinking of rising again.

      Brooke's observation seems faulty. It isn't the unanswered dead who might cause trouble; it's the spiteful neighbour who reckons you've been getting away with murder with respect to your wheelie-bin policy..

      And look, you either care about where your ashes are deposited or you don't. If the latter why bother with the request in the first place? What you say comes perilously to posthumous reneging and I may need to consult the Apocrypha on that.

      But you make it all sound so glum. Why not imagine that someone is going to turn up tomorrow and make you a gratis and pristine present of an Austin Land Crab. That would warm the cockles, wouldn't it? Getting immediate confirmation that synchromesh had already gone on first gear would make you into a prophet as far away as Maidstone.

      Delete
  3. There's your eulogy, right there. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: Nah, I'd have to change the last bit. I wouldn't want to give the oxygen of publicity (see Mrs Thatcher) to those bastards who'd want to swap And die Musik for How Much is that Doggie in the Window?.

      Delete