● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 29 April 2021

The times they have changed

 

Forklifts. They're hardly toys are they?

The French call them romans. Can be hard


Two RR romans (bottom left) plus treble and bass clefs.

Dreams cartographically expressed

Welcome once again to the RR mancave. If I were writing a cheap novel (which I don’t rule out) I’d call it squalid. But perhaps that’s a bit harsh. Certainly the mancave’s untidy and – as the years have slipped by – it’s become more and more uncomfortable. I tell myself I can justify every last thumb-tack but I could be lying.

I do a lot of unproductive thinking in the mancave. Most recently, geology. Yeah, all those techy words: Cambrian, Ordovician, Carboniferous.

Pretentious? Moi? See, the mancave has its own geology. Just like those cutaway cliffs with stripes that identify the “times” they passed through. Four stripes – strata are more la-di-dah - dividing up the last quarter of my life.

Stratum 1. The forklift era. I was still working then, editing a logistics magazine. Forklifts are big in logistics and the manufacturers publicise their wares with these precise die-cast models. Hand ‘em out like toffees. Should I throw them away? You’re crazy, man.

Stratum 2. The French literature era. Goes back to 1973 and only ended when my most recent teacher, Pat, died in 2017. About fifty novels, all well-worn. Yes, it was a snobby thing to do but I’ve never denied this tendency. At least one title is “experimental”; you have to want to read books like that.

Stratum 3. The novel-writing/singing lesson era. They overlap. Both are deep-rooted and I’d be someone else without either of them. Both are very, very hard work, confirmation I’m still sentient.

Stratum 4. The Out of Arizona era. I finished the novel in 2014 but the map of southern France, which hosts most of the action, remains still taped to my wardrobe door. In flat-lining moments I turn my chair and pick a town; let’s say Villefranche-sur-Rouergue. And day-dream.

5 comments:

  1. Ah! The maps. For me they encompass many of my "stratas" - perused on a daily basis for fact, fiction, reminiscers, aspiration and daydreams.

    I remember much enjoying my participation in the cover design for Arizona, as well as reading it as a good novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Hugh: As I recall red became yellow. Thanks for that, yet again.

      Delete
  2. hmmm, here we might call it a compost pile...or a pile of.... I have given up paper, magazines, except for the entire filing cabinet stuffed with research for the 3-4 books I haven't finished. After loosing all my bookmarks on the comp with an upgrade, I have again started to document this and that in printed form. Cloud, schmoud...don't trust that. My dad used to keep money in a coffee stuck in a hole between the rafters in the basement, and I used to laugh at him. But, now with banks giving 1/2 of a percent, why bother having the paperwork of money in the bank. I think I've turned into an 'old' person...lol. Stratas is a better view point than a compost pile or a pile of .... Interesting always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: And there I was, thinking it might have been a coffee bean! Specially hollowed out by a rural mannikin skilled in this craft, and capable of accommodating a single US currency bill, so let's hope it was a high value one. Sadly, I find, the highest is a mere $100 and you could spend that on breakfast at Starbucks.

      Delete