● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 12 June 2022

Oh to be in Dublin

Bought new in the USA.
Dust-jacket many times repaired

James Joyce’s novel, Ulysses, is nearing Bloomsday – June 16 – it’s hundredth celebration of the day it describes. Ulysses is famous, not least that it can be summarised numerically. Based on the select band who say they read “for pleasure” here are some figures:

Heard of it – 99%
Seen it on sale – 17%
Bought it new – 2%
Picked it up secondhand – 5%
Read the first page – 100% of those who own it
Read the second page – 4% (ditto above)
Read it all through – 0.05% (ditto above)
Read it a second time (or more) – 0.0002% (ditto).

Regular Tone Deaf readers (a rapidly diminishing breed, alas) will know I am not famed for my humility. With that kind of introduction you wouldn’t expect me to admit belonging to the First-Page Brigade. I have, in fact, read Ulysses twice – if not thrice, I sort of forget. Nor will the faithful be surprised when I say this post will exceed my self-imposed limit of 300 words. The subject is too important for less.

So what’s it about? Two men - Leo Bloom (a Jew who sells advertising space) and Stephen Dedalus (youngish, over-active intellectually, given to high-flying conversation) - pursue their lives in Dublin over the course of a day. Late at night they meet and find common cause.

Both have serious matters on their mind. During the day Bloom’s wife, Molly, will be unfaithful to him in bed with the exotically named Blazes Boylan. Stephen’s mother has recently died, he refusing to make the Catholic observances about death she begs of him prior to her death.

The novel ends with a forty-five page soliloquy – no punctuation other than half a dozen para breaks – in which Molly Bloom reflects on being a woman.

Ulysses is by far the most adult book I’ve read. To summarise it – other than numerically, tongue in cheek – is beyond me. Instead here are extracts which may give you the tiniest flavour of what you are missing. That said, I have never – would never – recommend reading it. The urge to do so must be internal, a willingness to wrestle with difficulties implicit.

STEPHEN. And now his strongroom for the gold. Stephen’s embarrassed hand moved over the shells heaped in the cold stone mortar; whelks and money cowries and leopard shells: and this, whorled as an emir’s turban, and this, the scallop of Saint James. An old pilgrim’s hoard, dead treasure, hollow shells.

BLOOM. He has seen a fair share go under in his time, lying around him field after field. Holy fields. More room if they buried them standing. Sitting or kneeling you couldn’t. Standing? His head might come up some day above ground in a landslip with his finger pointing.

STEPHEN ….went down Bedford row, the handle of the ash clacking against his shoulderblade. In Clohissey’s window a faded1860 print of Heenan boxing Sayers. Staring backers with square hats stood round the roped prizering. The heavyweights in light loincloths proposed gently each to other his bulbous fists. And they are throbbing : heroes’ hearts.

He turned and halted by the slanted bookcart.

- Two pence each, the huckster said. Four for sixpence.

- Tattered pages. The Irish Beekeeper. Life and Miracles of the Curé of Ars. Pocket Guide to Killarney.

BLOOM In liver gravy, Bloom mashed potatoes. Love and war someone is. Ben Dollard’s famous. Night he ran round to us to borrow a suit for that concert. Trousers tight as a drum on him. Musical porkers. Molly did laugh when he went out. Threw herself across the bed, screaming.

MOLLY ….he hadn’t an idea about my mother till we were engaged otherwise hed never have got me so cheap as he did he was 10 times worse himself anyhow begging me to give him a tiny bit cut off my drawers that was the evening coming along Kenilworth square he kissed me in the eye of my glove and I had to take it off asking me questions is permitted to inquire the shape of my bedroom…

5 comments:

  1. There is another category: walked it. I did it twice, once in Dublin (it rained) on Bloomsday obviously, with much reading and laughter and drinking and eating, and we were dressed for the occasion, and once in Trieste, although it was much shorter, more serious - as in scholarly - and following the life stations of Joyce while living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine: I was never able to fit in the walk, but would have liked to. On a guided business trip to Ireland I persuaded my guide - who was easily persuaded - .to visit the Martello Tower that figures in the opening pages of Ulysses and has subsequently been converted into a somewhat cramped Joyce museum. Doing the walk in Trieste as well truly adds caps and bells.

      Delete
    2. Nice to know you actually saw the Martello tower in Sandycove. I lived down the road from it for a good while in the 1980s, went for the odd swim in the "snotgreen sea", my Irish in-law family are all from there and this is where we spend time when we visit.

      Delete
  2. Read your comment at Sabine's so thought I'd stop by and see what was happening here. I am in the "Heard of it" 99% category. With an overflowing unread collection of books the best I could do is add this one to my book pile. Perhaps someday. Interesting you took up singing at 80 so i gather your vocal cords have remained in healthy condition. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joared: Singing is the big compensation - a world of difference between making music and just listening to it. More particularly the lengthy yet rewarding process of developing a singing voice. I wasn't sure it was going to happen to start with, but now the kitchen (brilliant acoustic) rings in confirmation.

    ReplyDelete