● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 9 December 2022

Isn't that whosit?

Examining images of oneself might be regarded as narcissistic. Fortunately, Rembrandt legitimised the practice and his self-portraits towards the end – which relentlessly track the gradual decay of his face – are arguably his greatest work. Most important, the paintings are entirely honest. Verb. Sap.

Fifteen minutes before daughter Occasional Speeder (OS) took the above photo I’d emerged from the sixth hospital (Cheltenham added to Hereford, Kidderminster, Worcester, Gloucester and Redditch) in the recent healing process. Discussion had centred on anaesthesia and the conflicting need for anti-coagulants. The conversation was adult, with some wit, and the staff nurse and I had got on well. Even so I was mildly exhausted; illness requires so much stuff.

OS was my chauffeur. “Let’s do a pub,” I suggested. At The Old Spot she chose mulled wine as a reminder of our ski-ing days. Anti-coagulants mean I’m off booze but the 0% draft beer was not half bad. I relaxed and – unknowingly – I was clicked.

OS says it’s a “nice” pic but that’s not for me to say. What I can say is the expression is unique, I’ve never known it before. It’s a face that has “taken the blows”, tiredness is playing a part, the smile is only half-realised, and the first op has left two deep grooves to the left of the mouth which unbalance the face’s symmetry. Huge bags beneath the eyes but I’ve been aware of them for ages. The hair is artfully scattered. Best of all the whole image is pushed to one side, it’s not straight on. Makes it more interesting.

Tell the truth, I don’t exactly know this guy, perhaps because he has been, and still is, ill. I need to talk to him. Can that be arranged?

10 comments:

  1. Occasional Speeder9 December 2022 at 22:59

    Nice was the wrong word - stoic? Solid? Not sure - but it was a very memorable drink - one to add to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This IS a nice picture, taken by someone who clearly knows you well. Tired eyes not withstanding, you look good. Thank you, Occasional Speeder, for showing us what your Dad might look like if we could join him for a drink at the pub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He’s the perfect pub partner - pays his way and is wonderfully interactive with the staff. I think he looks great

      Delete
    2. OS: I didn't want to seem churlish, only to say that I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with that adjective. Only a second (or third, or third, or fourth, etc) person is qualified to judge.

      Stoic's interesting. I tend to see it as suffering in silence. But the fact is if I am suffering I'm hardly conscious of the fact. Although I spend a good deal of my time these days in the company of medicoes there's always something interesting going on, always questions worth asking, and different/sympathetic people to chat to.

      Delete
    3. Colette: I think you're clever enough to conclude who this Anonymous is.

      Delete
    4. Yes, I was thrilled to get an answer from her, too.

      Delete
  3. I now prefer NA beer - they have come a long way taste wise. I prefer them a bit flat and warmer than refrigerator temperature. An opened can, left two days with a loose fitting rubber can cover (from the cat food dept. in our household) and removed from the fridge an hour before drinking. Ecstasy. You look happy in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MikeM: sounds as if you'd be right at home in Britain where draft beer is drunk cool but not tepid, served in pints (larger than US pints), take longer to drink and are thus slightly flatter than usual. The best NA beers, in my experience are brewed in Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like being cold but this winter and during this cold spell we have had I have felt it more intensely than ever, a result of increasing age I reckon. I have found that if I become cold it takes longer to get back to comfort once in a warmer environment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir Hugh: There's an automotive parallel. I've had three Skoda Octavias, the car that meets the most complete shopping list of features, carrying capacity, performance criteria and price considerations I now expect from a new car.. Not least, the speed with which the car "heats up" from standstill on cold winter days. With all three I'm no more than half a mile down the Belmont Road (towards the city) before hints of warmth have already made me forget the weather outside. Reaching the "dialled in" temperature is less important than this earlier transition from cold to warmish.

    I think, but can't be sure, that this transition takes somewhat longer as the car ages. But this matters less. I am imbued with a confidence that this will happen and a few seconds' difference is neither here nor there. I am a great believer in phenomena defined in numbers but there are exceptions. How does one "measure" such confidence?

    Also I reflect pleasurably on the difference between these Skodas and unsatisfactory older cars I have owned. Notably the VW Beetle which offered only token heating (if that!), a side-effect of the engine being air-cooled.

    ReplyDelete