● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Tuesday 7 March 2023

Don't expect to be comforted

Women Talking, the movie, is just that. Only during the last 10% is there some mild action, the rest being – well! – just talk. I’m not sure I would label it as entertainment but it held me.

The Guardian describes it as “important” but only gives it three stars out of five, praising the performances – all excellent – but grumbling it sometimes lapses into a school debate. I thought this was unfair. Women Talking is serious, it deals with the essence of feminism in an environment where it is hardly referred to, drama relying on what is said and the way it is expressed.

Women belonging to a religious community in rural USA at the beginning of the twentieth century (Note corrective footnote.), gather in a barn to discuss their reaction to continuing maltreatment by the men of that community. The male malefactors are never seen, in a weakish plot device they are physically absent but present as a menace. Only one man (Ben Whishaw) plays a part; sympathetic to the women but given the neutral role of writing the minutes. Gradually his sympathy grows, meshing with the women’s problems.

What should the women do? Stay and endure the pain? Stay and fight it out (How, is never articulated)? Leave?  Obligations of religion and the existence of children complicate these options. The women gradually emerge as individuals, each with different opinions. Discussion melts into argument and some blows are struck.

In a brief cameo the ever-marvellous Frances McDormand preaches Christian submission and eventually pays a price for this view.

The movie is written and directed by a woman, Sarah Polley, and I – as a mere man – think this is an essential element.

Women Talking is uncomfortable, poses painful dilemmas and encourages reflection. Strictly for adults. Are you an adult?

NOTE. My 30-year-old grandson, who saw this movie with me, points out that the events took place in 2010, not 1910 as I misheard. However visual power is achieved by setting it in a wilfully anachronistic community which has rejected many of the aspects of the oughty years.

6 comments:

  1. Am I an adult? Well, maybe. I am fully grown, an experienced woman, and a committed feminist. Or were you talking to men when you posed that question? I will definitely see this movie at some point, but I am not looking forward to it, except to see Frances McDormand take on a difficult role. I get tired of injustice, even when it is presented as a means to overcome. I'm happy you posted about this movie. It does, indeed, sound important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: It's a reasonable question (Was I addressing men or women?), all the more so since I wasn't specific in my own mind when I wrote the sentence. Following due reflection I have to say: both, but for slightly different reasons. For men, because most men need to be reminded of the world women inhabit and this movie depicts a purely feminine world in which men aren't participating at that very moment (even though male influence was what set the whole discussion in motion). For women, because not all women are feminists and those that are should still be capable of profiting from the sheer intensity and - perhaps - universality of the way the case is put. No, the movie isn't fun but it has vital things to say.

      I do hope you see this movie, Colette. Because my reponse, though sympathetic, is inescapably male. I know something about you by now and I would value your thoughts.

      Delete
  2. It's unbelievable that we are still dealing with this in the twenty first century. Centuries of abuse have passed and still men are oppressing and abusing women. Doubtless most of us in our part of the world suffer much less than previous generations but in others it is definitely not improving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean: No doubt there have been pro-feminist movies before but I suspect they may have taken a justifiable if familiar, combative stance which didn't add much that is new to the pot. Not that Women Talking says anything that is new that I know of, but its very passion in scene after scene where male influence is only indirect (offstage, if you like) throws a clearer light on a horrible problem that has - unbelievably, as you say - gone on for centuries. Another point: Women Talking doesn't preach, it simply lays out the end-product (of male domination) in a way that anyone of a reasonable bent would be incapable of ignoring..

      Delete
  3. the root of their oppression is the religion they adhere to. it gives men dominance over women and dominance makes men feel powerful, in some cases it's the only power they have and they wield it brutally and protect it at all costs. I haven't seen this movie but I am a woman and as such am intimately familiar with the oppression and abuse by men and their claim to superiority granted by religion. I left religion behind long long ago. It held nothing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellen abbott: I agree that virtually all forms of religion are male-dominated and most perpetuate male domination. But although the women in Women Talking are part of an Amish-like religious community, their attitude towards God differs widely, mainly as a result of what they've experienced.. The character played by Frances McDormand is only one extreme of the views expressed, others are, if you like, "more modern". I hope you are able see this movie, I defy anyone with an open mind not to be affected by it.

    ReplyDelete