● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 27 May 2023

Big toe trouble

Chemo (a liquid) enters the body via a PICC,
a sort of tap, dangling freely when not in use

The delinquent big toe, neatly bandaged

PICC protecting sleeve and Tesco shopping bag

Sleeve holds bag in place round foot





Old age makes it difficult for me to clip my toe-nails – I don’t bend as well as I used to. It turns out chiropodists are now passé; for foot trouble you book a podiatrist, dressed in op theatre blues as if ready for a heart bypass. The nails take five minutes at most, but she notes one of my big toes. It recently lost its nail, made a half-hearted attempt to grow another, is now inflamed and infected. She bandages it expertly, sends a recommendation to my GP to prescribe an antibiotic, says she’ll see me in a week.

All straightforward. But, one week later, here’s where things get “different”.

Pod: Did you remove the bandage?

RR: You said not to.

Pod: But how were you able to manage?

RR: By the simple expedient of not washing myself.

Pod: But that was one week ago.

RR: Your point being?

There is a shocked silence. A new bandage is put on. Tentatively Pod says, “But you will wash, won’t you.” The word “Please” is unspoken but almost tangible.

I discuss things with VR who is more familiar with my unhygienic ways. VR says, “When you were doing chemo you had a PICC in your arm (See explanatory diagram) yet you showered. You bought a special sleeve to prevent wetting the PICC.” I said, “Yes, but it’s open at both ends.” VR says, “So stick a plastic shopping bag over your foot first.”

Brilliant! It’s great being married to an inventive wife. I even decide to have a shallow tepid bath, revelling in the way my fevered toe was protected.

Alas, somehow the bathwater gets in.

My next Pod appointment is in two days. 

What, exactly, should I say?

8 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your toenail. I hope it heals well. I once had a serious wound on my foot and had to keep it bandaged for quite a while. I took baths and kept that foot out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NewRobin13: But reading in the bath (I also sing since the acoustic is so rewarding) can cause you to forget the toe-out-of-the-water routine. Another tip: I had the conventional screw-type taps removed and replaced with lever-operated taps. Much for amenable for the feet.

      Delete
  2. I had a severely ingrown toenail on my left big toe and had it removed a year ago last April. it's only half grown in now where it should be nearly completely grown in. my other big toe nail also tends to be ingrown but I am never going through that again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen abbot: The nail, I assume, not the toe.

      Delete
  3. "Sometimes the bathwater gets in."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: My intial word was "Somehow". Thus your response seems slightly gnomic.

      Delete
  4. I had trouble, like you, in getting down to my feet for toe nail care and now have a 6 weekly visit from a "pod". to do it for me. It is sybaritic to lie back in a chair, feet on a stool to raise them as she sits in front of me working on the nails and massaging my feet afterwards with ointment (shades of the New Testament - no she does not dry them with her hair). Well worth the £30 per visit.

    I occasionally get an inflamed big toe with gout, but drinking lime juice (recommended) clears it in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Avus: Lime juice ought to keep scurvy at bay too. For forty years now I've taken one allopurinol pill a day and provided I don't aggravate the big toe in any way (rock-climbing with the boot perched on a vestigial foothold would be clearly a no-no) gout is reduced to a mere memory of the famous Gillray cartoon.

    ReplyDelete