● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 7 December 2023

Self-torture?

Help! I am reading a book ninety percent of which I do not understand. Yet I continue, often no more than two or three pages at a time. Why?

Could we rule out: that I’m doing this to boast about it in Tone Deaf. This post demands I summarise the book’s contents and that’s far from easy. In my sere and yellow years I shun hard work.

Reality Is Not What It Seems, subtitled The Journey to Quantum Gravity, is by Carlo Rovelli, an Italian theoretical physicist  and international best-selling author. He wrote Seven Brief Lessons on Physics which I have read and - I think - understood. 

So, what izzit? To use his own words "... coherently synthesizing what we have learned about the world with the two major discoveries of twentieth-century physics: general relativity and quantum theory"

More particularly it tries to bring gravity into what went before. And it's the simpler declarative factoids that require chewing. F'rinstance, "the granular structure of space", or "the disappearance of time at small scale", or "the origin of black-hole heat."

Already I'm admitting defeat. Rovelli explains things for non-scientists. Am I asking too much of myself to simplify what he has already simplified? No comfort in “non-scientist”, by the way. For me it requires dedicated concentration and much memory - both qualities undermined by old age.  Still I mainly fail.

So why persist? Perhaps because of the way I earned a living. To ask worthwhile questions I needed - at the very least - to know little bits about lots and lots. Maybe brushing against this arcane world will add to those bits. Or is this self-delusional?

4 comments:

  1. I suppose that the habits of a lifetime are hard to eradicate, but sometimes it’s best to simply admit defeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We basically are creatures of our environment, where up is up and down is down---the theoretical stuff really is an 'Alice in Wonderland' trip where nothing is as it seems. Pretty much why it is so hard to imagine, let alone understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like a useful exercise to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DMG/Sandi/Colette: Thank you all for responding. However I now realise I invited you to join me on the physics roundabout while it was already moving. I should have explained why I got on to it in the first place. If you're still interested I will try to explain myself further in Self-Torture 2, which I have yet to write.

    ReplyDelete