● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 17 December 2023

The bottle? It's traditional

The party (see previous post) had a mildly odd aftermath but I’ll get to that. VR’s medical concerns meant I went alone, carrying a bottle of Languedoc red. Martin, my host, opened the door and there was a tiny confusion as I handed him the bottle while we shook hands.

VR and I are both invalids. When did I last shake hands? Months ago? Years?

I first met Martin walking to the supermarket during the last couple of years. Casually. The party started stiffly, new arrivals just standing around. Not me of course. Journalism taught me to break social barriers by forcing conversation. Encountering a Chinese woman married to a Japanese man I asked what language did they speak when alone? Their answer released a welter of possibilities.

The spread of food was enticing and varied and I’d have liked to return to the table more than once (At home I’m responsible for very dull fare). But people were sitting now and conversation was broadening. I joined in, frequently startling people into discussing subjects other than members of their families. 

No doubt you, dear reader, disapprove of such dictatorship. But most Brits welcome those who help guard against social silence. I am not necessarily liked but I may be  tolerated.

The party started at 5 pm. Most had left before me and I was home by 8.30. Resuming my duties by creating a G&T for VR.

Then the aftermath. A strange “otherness”. For a year now we’ve mainly spent our evenings alone, just the two of us. Earlier I’d been part of a group, now it was quiet in our living room. As if I was the traveller from an antique land. Nothing unexpected would happen. Just reading and some telly. Old age solitude. Ah, yes.

2 comments:

  1. "I joined in, frequently startling people into discussing subjects other than members of their families." That's a gift, I always appreciate someone who keeps the conversation going in unpredictable ways. Tom and I are alone most evenings, too. I kinda love that solitude. But I enjoy the opposite on occasion as well, just not too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colette: It sounds manipulative but some subjects don't encourage participation; note the unengaged expression on some of the faces within earshot. Sometimes it may be necessary to interrupt the speaker. To soften this, self-mockery may help. Eg: "We moved to extreme luxury. (Dramatic pause) Three - count them: (Rising notes) one, two THREE - lavatories!" Self-mockery is a way of reaching out for sympathy.

    ReplyDelete