| You've seen it before; I think it shows we "got on" |
First, then, she wasn’t playing cards so she didn’t “pass”.
She died. Death notices often stress “peacefully” but in her case a better
adverbial descriptor would be “in a remote state”. Her final six months were
spent in pain from two long-standing sources, angry that she’d lost the fine
edge of her articulacy and unimpressed by what she saw around her at the
nursing home – to wit, others sharing her ailment. Uncomplainingly, almost
casually, over and over, she told me she wanted to die. Three weeks ago her
status became “palliative care”. I tried to visit every day, staying for three
hours, keen to know if and when the morphine dosage would be increased. In
effect she departed from me several days before I got the phone call but I
approved of this drawn curtain.
Hers was a close and comfortable family life, unlike my
rackety and ungoverned boyhood. Her scores in class were in the inhuman
nineties and Oxbridge (that’s OXford followed by CamBRIDGE) beckoned. Misguided
parental control prevented this and she settled for three years qualification
as a State Registered Nurse, albeit sixty miles away from the family home. At
(adopt a sonorous tone) “one of London’s greatest teaching hospitals.” Scores
of 90%-plus continued.
When we met – as part of a foursome – I’d been in London a
mere three months, a blissful escapee from Bradford, oop North. As to dating I’d
had three evenings out with a progressively disenchanted 20-year-old woman who
wore highish heels. What happened that evening in London is irritatingly
blurred. Logically I, a proven failure with the opposite sex, should have been
overwhelmed at finding myself buying a G&T for an undeniably beautiful
woman. I just can’t re-create those feelings. Veronica has always remained
shtum on this and I find it hard to believe I managed keep wraps on my crass
Northern-ness.
Quite soon she took a two-week holiday at home and was
trustful enough to give me the address. Naturally I wrote a letter (it’s my default
state) and all I can remember about her reply is she’d acquired the Only The
Lonely LP by Frank Sinatra. True I was a Sinatra fan but did I detect something
symbolic in that LP title? Surely that only happens in books
A month later we had a fratch (Look it up.) and she left me
a note suggesting we break it off. Surely this must have disturbed me but, no.
I merely replied by letter and all was well again. Was I in danger of becoming
a character in an epistolary novel? How terribly unfashionable.
Too much about me. What about those moments when she
demonstrated forms of wisdom that I demonstrably lacked.
In those days it was traditional to buy one’s wedding dress.
Veronica explained that hiring one meant oodles more style and one didn’t then
have a useless garment cluttering up the wardrobe. I have to admit it looked
fabulous
I did contribute initially in a minor way but it was
Veronica who brought up our baby daughter. How did she know all that stuff?
About bottles and nappies, quietening fits of crying without resorting to
strangulation, knitting bibs, weaselling a free pickled cornichon from the
Jewish grocery man by telling him our daughter’s name was spelled the Jewish
way.
Finding an inexpensive source of asparagus in Dalston
market..
MORE FOLLOWS, Time to create something dull and unhealthy
while remembering what meals used to be. Ah, eggs mornay.
No comments:
Post a Comment