● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 15 December 2017

Moving on, perhaps sideways


Who's this effeminate guy? He lived in the 1600s before streaming
was invented. Or the electric guitar. Did music of a sort. A loser, then
Just imagine that our present way of reading books (silently, to ourselves) never happened. That, instead, books are only read aloud: to groups, a friend, to an empty room, to a recording machine. And that our orations are made public:

“X’s pernickety accent suits Mansfield Park.”

“Hey, Y does all the voices in As You Like It.”

“Z’s Great Gatsby still isn’t right, a New Yorker’s giving him lessons.”

No skipping, no lies about finishing Moby Dick. Proof would be unmistakable.

Welcome to my world, in a sense.

Aged 14 in 1949, with the publication of Orwell’s 1984, I started reading seriously, voraciously but haphazardly. Huge unforgivable gaps appeared and widened (Latin and Greek literature, most fantasies, Dostoevski, short stories, virtually all poetry, philosophy) but eventually other milestones were passed (Already blogged; I won’t bore you). A process that started dwindling two years ago and is now at a standstill.

That same seriousness and voraciousness, minus the randomness, is being applied to singing. I’ve moved into an oral world resembling the imaginary one above. This world is transient and requires certain disciplines. A soi-disant intellectual recently admitted ignoring the battle scenes in War and Peace - converting it into Blank and Peace, I suppose. There’s none of that in An die Musik.

In rectifying mistakes I am made aware of the composer’s genius. I am more conscious of my body because I have to be. I need tutoring because there’s another language - musical notation - involved. Singing is not superior to book-reading but it’s less casual. Visceral reactions occur more frequently. Perhaps delusionally, I am fulfilled.
 
Here’s Purcell’s An Evening Hymn, written in the seventeenth century. My present task but pitched lower. 

4 comments:

  1. Ha! Your remarks on reading remind me of watching my daughter moving one day from reading aloud, which she did striding about the room, to silent reading, first with her lips moving and then sitting down on the floor and becoming lost to the world, utterly.
    A year later, she burst into our bedroom one Sunday morning to exclaim that one of the male characters of Laura Ingalls Wilder's series (Little House on the Prairie) finally got his driving license - something she had never imagined possible as he was "lousy in everything else".

    Faced with the stark reality of my reduced reading (thanks to the four horsemen of the bookacopalypse - facebook, twittwer, instagram and blogging) I started to give myself reading challenges. In 2016, it was War & Peace as it has 365 short chapters. As I dreaded the battle scenes I decided on a google earth approach, following the various troops on real life satellite maps and thus, managed to read it all.

    This year's challenge, all John Le Carre novels in order of publication, is not yet complete but google earth is involved as well.

    Re: Purcell. How will you manage all the hallelujas in one breath?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabine: A sly question well put. The Hallelujahs will be difficult but then V understands my failings and is prepared to give me time, provided it isn't measured in Anno Domini. Schumann's "Im Rhein" only lasts 1 min. 21 secs. but we spent three months on it, going into ever more miniscule detail which - paradoxically - broadened my appreciation of all music.

    I hadn't thought about the reverse transition in reading - from audibly to silently - and I vicariously enjoyed your daughter's experience. What I did recognise was the need to share a book's most telling points. Even if, at the time, you'd been playing a hose on the flames that were devouring your house you would, as a parent, have been forced to break off and consider the centrality of the driving licence. Childish revelations must always have their day.

    I've probably mentioned that my passage through War and Peace was helped immeasurably by a bookmark with the various relationships spelled out on one side and a list of the patronymics on the other. I borrowed the book from the library, it was a new edition and I was the first to read it. It saddens me to think that the unattached bookmark must quickly have been misplaced and later readers would have lost a valuable aid.

    To my mind the best John le Carré was the immediate successor to A Spy Who Came in from the Cold. It's called The Looking-Glass War and I'll be interested in your judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost agree with you re The Looking Glass War - fake news at its best in the age of paper work and no internet, bumbling bored bureaucrats getting ahead of themselves - but my favourite at the moment is Our Game, maybe because the eventual fate of our hero remains spectacularly unclear.

    Obviously, A Small Town in Germany is another classic for me as I happen to live in that not really so small town. He got most of it right regarding locality.

    I am now somewhat stuck with The Constant Gardener, which I have read (and watched the movie) before, mainly because this is the one where he becomes an angry novelist with a message. Quite rightly so, but hard to stomach esp since the real outfit of the novel's version of one specific NGO/pressure group is one I once worked with, briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sabine: All those things together with hideously misjudged pride that would carelessly condemn one man to the firing squad simply to prove to others in the same line of business that one was "active", playing what, in Kipling's words, was referred to as "the Great Game". Game indeed.

    I've read them all, some several times. I wondered how many that is and Googled the question. The answer, rather pleasingly gnomic, was "at least 16" which seems less than I'd imagined. I cannot remember Our Game just from the title but I'm sure reading the first page would set my memory working. In fact, in honour of our exchanges, I shall order Our Game from ABE Books when I've finished this. Unlike many of my acquaintances who revel in the physicality of books I actually prefer paperbacks, even those that are second-hand.

    To The Looking-Glass War I would add The Honourable Schoolboy which may be one of the longest and is, perhaps, one of the most satisfying (a rather elderly critical concept) as a novel. Those stage-setting scenes in the Hong Kong Press Club spoke to me affectionately of the trade I used to pursue. They didn't need to be there, or at least not in such detail, but I sympathise with JlC in letting them run on. Having discovered the marvellously three-dimensional real-life Richard Hughes (the model for William Caw) he wasn't about to let him go in half a para.

    I think I agree with you about The Constant Gardener. For one thing I hate gardening.

    ReplyDelete