● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 22 December 2017

To the edge

Do we get the dreams, nightmares really, we deserve?

For minor traffic offences, I and two other males, found ourselves condemned to death. The note informing me suggested - very obliquely - death would be by shooting. Something about the wording faintly hinted, to me if not to the others, that this was not to be taken seriously.

We were herded into a narrow corridor painted dark green. A piece of paper carrying an X was stuck to the side-wall at about chest height. This was puzzling since there was insufficient width for two people to stand facing each other across the corridor. Also the victim would obscure the X. Also the wall was un-pocked by bullet holes.

We were told that a laser would be employed and that we would be required to stare fixedly at the X. This would have involved crouching slightly which has only just occurred to me.

The two other males were keen to get death over with. I moved out of the corridor, trying to convince myself that nothing harmful would happen. After a few seconds I was allowed back and saw the first male on the floor his legs (corduroy trousers, deep-patterned rubber shoe soles) curled. This was a horrible shock to me.

My attention was briefly distracted. When I looked again the first male was sitting up, tears streaming, gibbering incoherently. I was told in a matter-of-fact voice that the punishment was demonstrably not fatal, but I would have to undergo it. Since the "officials" consisted of a male teenager and a young woman I refused.

The clarity, even four hours later, was and is persuasive. Certain details (dark green corridor, the shoe soles, perhaps the X) belong to my past life. The nightmare seemed tailor-made. Hmmm.

10 comments:

  1. What the hell were you on the previous night, RR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marly: Too gnomic by far.

    Avus: Do all your dreams come with a printed agenda and a voting form for the election of a deputy treasurer? Also you're failing to acknowledge that the record I've provided doesn't owe anything to artificial stimulants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Random firings" say the "experts".

    ReplyDelete
  4. MikeM: Sir! Aren't you in danger of playing the reductionist here? I'm well aware that if an infinite number of monkeys, each equipped with a typewriter, locked up for an infinite length of time in a room of infinite volume would eventually produce a typescript of all Shakespeare's sonnets. But my nightmare was not granted these favourable parameters. A quite logical series of interlocking events, with awful implications for me, was created within probably no more than a few minutes' sleep time. Creating the impression - if nothing more - that some malign force had it in for me.

    In the meantime allow me to honour your presence on this blog and more particularly within part of my lifespan. I hope you find peace, intellectual stimulation and repose and rewarding revelation over the next 48 hours, and that this sustains you for another 40 years on Earth. Mon chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robbie, I'm happy to know you refused. That bodes well as proof of your determined spirit, in spite of this really wretched dream! Happy Christmas to you and yours; I hope you'll have a chance to sing something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas Robbie. more protracted greetings were delivered to Mykwerks...stateside sender issues. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth: I'm touched by, and needed your response. It was a lousy experience. Purcell's An Evening Hymn may have the power to wipe away all tears.

    MikeM: My reply is already with Mykwerks. Cheers squared to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps it wasn't archetypes but the lead-up to surgery! Particularly if a laser was involved...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marly: No laser involved, just a scaled-down modern version of Excalibur. Painless of course and the sound, so close to my ear, was pleasingly leguminous - akin to breaking sticks of celery.

    ReplyDelete