● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 28 March 2020

Interned


Self-isolation becomes a mosaic of experience and information. Here’s yesterday:

Up at 06.25, draw downstairs blinds, check Tesco website for online delivery slot. THE WHOLE OF MONDAY (March 30) IS AVAILABLE

The Prime Minister, the Health Secretary and Prince Charles have all tested positive.

I draft a To Whom It May Concern note authorising J, our cleaning lady, to shop on our behalf.

Get an email from daughter Professional Bleeder saying Ian (son/grandson) is fretting about the delivery of curtains. I suggest he’s getting old before his time. He’s 31.

Put on my driving gloves for short walk to Tesco’s filling station to pick up Guardian. One in, one out system in operation. Everyone smiling and efficient.

Decide to email Tesco store manager complimenting him on his staff’s friendliness. Can’t find his email address.

VR bakes fruitcake.

Check internet to see what foolish ideas DT is imposing on the US population in order to get re-elected.

Brunch. Sandwich based on chicken breast leftovers. Read Guardian. Two strong mugs of coffee to go with huge slice of new cake.

Doze involuntarily.

Take very unexpected phone call from friend dating back to newspaper days in the fifties.

Call interrupted by delivery of six different bottles of Italian white wine, all new to me.

Follow Gareth Malone’s warm-up instructions for his online choir project. Much lengthier session than V and I can afford for my one-hour lessons. Voice in fine fettle. I sing snatches of song round the house. Go the whole hog in the kitchen with Du bist die Ruh.

Lie on bed and consider what’s left of my life. VR joins me.

Emails from daughters flow in. Much more happens but this my 300-word limit.

4 comments:

  1. I spotted a mistake: surely you intended to write "doze voluntarily".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sabine: The "in" was intentional even if it risked tautology. I was responding to a poetic imperative and needed the extra syllable. I even toyed with the idea of separating the two words with a full stop. Go on, now tell me I'm a trivialist.

    How about "a break down"?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading of your day there. Makes me want to keep a list like this. I think mine would be much shorter, but I could be wrong. Mmmm... I wonder.

    ReplyDelete