● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Sunday 2 January 2022

Q & A: Difficult choices

Christmas dinner was postponed
until New Year's Eve so that I
could be present. As usual Beef
Wellington was served, of which
I ate not a scrap (Dietary restraints).
I refuse to explain the explain the
slogan on Zach's black tee-short.

“How are you?” they say. And I never know how to answer.

I live on what we in the UK call “an estate” a dense cluster of residential houses. Yesterday, on daughter PB’s orders, I went outside to disassemble the artificial Christmas tree for transportation up to the loft. Part of a cathartic exercise whereby every trace of Christmas is removed from the house – inside and out – in an exhausting couple of hours. Leaving all three of us completely knackered but deliciously purged. Back to normal.

News travels quickly on the estate. As I disentangled the flashing lights and baubles an intermittent stream of pedestrians passed by, to the supermarket, walking their dogs or getting some exercise. A high percentage would know I spent Christmas in hospital; some would want to pose the question above.

Most would be satisfied with an “OK” but how to judge? It’s been nine days since the op and familiar acquaintances would want an update. In what degree of detail?

As an earlier post has explained my op is not easily discussed. The target area is intimate and the vocabulary involves terms usually avoided in public conversation. On occasion I’ve made the wrong choice. Been altogether too frank, causing a blank look and an obvious desire for my questioner to be on his/her way. Oh, not that!

Mercifully this is not happening during my stay in the USA. There, I almost always got it wrong, even with less controversial subjects. You see I have this tendency towards polysyllabic language when responding. Showing off, of course. It didn’t go down well In Dormont, PA.

Too much or too little? Perhaps a feeble joke: a word-play on plumbing. Illness isn’t at all straightforward these days.

11 comments:

  1. As so often happens with blog comments one flicks a switch to cite similar personal experiences to those written about by the author, and today is no exception. I recall an incident where I put questioners into a situation they would have preferred to avoid.

    15th September 2011 in the Lake District and a walk underestimated for distance and demands on stamina - from my blog:

    "Nearing the tarn I suddenly experienced excruciating cramp up the inside of my left thigh. I stopped in agony much to the concern of some passers-by, who I reckon were terrified at the prospect of rendering assistance, without, I suspect having requisite knowledge. One of them helpfully suggested I was lacking salt, but was unhelpfully unable to provide that commodity, so I bravely assured them I would be alright, although I was not convinced of this in my own mind, and they hurriedly continued on their way, I guess with much relief."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Hugh: I wonder if they were religious. Salt sounds so biblical.

      Delete
  2. You have a beautiful family! As for the people who ask, they really just want to express to you that they care. Most of them don't want to hear the details. "Much better! Thanks for asking" is a good answer. Then, if one of them persists in wanting the gory details, go wild in the retelling. It will be fun for you to watch the facial heaves they go through as you spin your yarn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: I am hesitating about passing on the news that someone thinks we all belong to a beautiful family. Especially, shall we say, X and Y. I have already discussed the unlikihood of the whole family smiling simultaneously. Has this ever happened since eternity? The jury is out.

      Delete
  3. Love that holiday photo of your beautiful family. It's wonderful to see such a celebratory gathering. I noticed your grandson's tee-shirt and had a good laugh. I like his attitude.
    Colette's reply to questions about your health is really a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin andrea: Daughter PB examined the photo and said, "Gosh, that tee-shirt is so prominent." Luckily the reference is I think entirely obscure to anyone living outside the UK.

      Delete
  4. "Still here, thanks" is my usual response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: Ah, but you and I are not driven by the same devils.

      Delete
  5. Ah, so much more transparent in Japan ... if they don't want a full answer, they'll simply bow and default to time-worn phrases.
    I suppose the best response to the T-shirt would be, "what is FIFA?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zu Schwer: Fédération Internationale de Football Association. The organisation that mismanages soccer worldwide

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only one I understand is "Eintracht Frankfurt" ... they beat Bayern München on home soil this season and the joy reverberates still ♪

    ReplyDelete