● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Monday 14 March 2022

Dissolving the separating miles

All it lacks is me.

Skyping doesn’t get the credit it deserves. Some say – unfairly – it’s nowhere near as good as hugging in person. True. But I for one realised that from the start.

Some say – slightly more fairly – it became popular during the height of the pandemic and who wants to be reminded of those dark days? But that’s rather like shooting the messenger. In our case it’s a remotely contrived family reunion at weekly intervals. Not perfect but a lot better than moaning about the lack of real family gatherings which often occurred far less frequently.

In any case Skyping has its own advantages. Knowing that we’re limited to an hour a week, we talk more intensely, making sure everything gets said. Often to the point of overlapping the ends of others’ sentences. There are none of those real-life gaps where someone leaves to make the tea and silence descends like a lead curtain.

In particular I’m able to keep everyone up to date with my endless series of consultations at the hospital. Next time round I’ll have breathtaking news about being fitted with my PICC (Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) which will facilitate the transfer of chemotherapy fluid. Perhaps this makes me sound self-centred, the weekly bore, but I think my daughters regard such info as worthwhile.

During the early days VR and I used to crouch uncomfortably together in front of the PC monitor in my study. Now the images appear on the much larger TV screen in our living room. As you can see from VR’s part of the montage, some of us loll. The empty couch is where I would have lain, but someone had to take the photo.

Besides which Skype is a techno-marvel and – astonishingly – it’s free. Have you rejected Skype? For goodness sake: why? 


7 comments:

  1. We do a zoom call once a week with a dear old friend. I would like to set something up like this to do with my siblings. We all live hundreds of miles apart, and I haven't seen my older brother in more than ten years. He lives across country. I don't fly, and he doesn't travel. I like the photos of your Skype call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin andrea: What's the problem with your brother? Skype software can be downloaded for free in a matter of seconds. It's easy to use. If he's reluctant to buy a webcam (and there isn't one installed on his monitor) you can buy him one as a prezzie - they're quite cheap. You can take on the role of initiating the calls. His only responsibility would be to sit in front of his switched-on computer at the agreed time which should, of course, take account of differing time zones. If in fact you don't "get on" with him you could offer him the Skype link as a form of rapprochement.

      Delete
  2. We have a whatsapp face to face call every evening with the grandchild - their morning as they are on the other side of the planet, usually during meal times. We go through the daily rituals, showing off food and clothing choices, their summer, various pets before we follow along while they feed the chickens and then we either build an adventure jumping range with pillows and sofa bits or we read books or both. Mostly both.
    It will be a massive shock when we appear in person hopefully later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine: I'm not sure the three of us would go for a daily call. That might be a little too burdensome, a strain on our collective ability to deliver inventive conversation. But if it works, why not?

      The bigger shock might well be when (if?) you walk into your grandchild's house and are assaulted by the interior changes - the fruits of his/her being house-bound for two years.

      Delete
    2. Ah no, they are in NZ and have lived the life of Riley apart from a brief strict lockdown in 2020.
      Today, we were instructed rather sharply by grandchild on the principle of waiting for your turn - essential in online communication.

      Delete
  3. Facebookers have the option of Facetime via the Messenger app. It works as a video phone - no appointment needed. As with all the video conferencing stuff there are no overlapping utterances. Bark the loudest and you'll be the party heard - or wait for a turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MikeM: I owned a Facebook account for about twenty minutes and was terrified by the spotlight shone on my past, especially the stuff I hoped I'd thrust into oblivion. Destroyed it quickly.

      Delete