● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 2 November 2022

Back into the tunnel

This child is clearly not me but is sharing my experience

A third MRI scan, all of them different. This one at Redditch, an 80-minute drive from Hereford and at the far end of another county, Worcestershire. Better in that there was more space in the car park; worse in that it was hard to find once I’d arrived at the hospital. Confirmation, too, that many Brits lack skills in distinguishing between left and right. T’would never have happened in France; the French being the best direction communicators in the world. Americans second best.

I’d allowed myself 25 minutes once I got out of the car and squeaked in with one minute to spare. The scanner was housed outside the hospital in an ISO container (the sort that form trailers towed by HGVs – heavy goods vehicles). Emblazoned with the manufacturer’s name – Phillips – and a reassuring notice that said it could, if I wished, be hired.

A large plastic structure was placed round my head before I entered the tunnel; no doubt to prevent my head from moving. Before that massive padded ear-phones to deaden the hideous and varied noises the scanner makes when doing its business. Both firsts for me. Unfortunately I wasn’t given the option to switch off the pop music supposed to comfort me during the half hour I spent entombed. Thus, simultaneously, I was subjected to twanging guitars, shrieked nasal tones and the scanner’s squeaks and groans, mercifully reduced in volume.

Eventually I re-emerged only to be asked more subsidiary questions. The poor guy had a strong foreign accent and the ear-phones didn’t help. I was, however, proud of being able to answer “No” when asked if I suffered from myasthenia gravis. A cannula was inserted in my arm to introduce fluid, then back into the tunnel.

Grateful, nevertheless, for advanced technology. 

13 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well for you, Robbie. Those tunnels are claustrophobic for me, especially those that come close to my face. I close my eyes and pay attention to my breathing, which usually helps...though not always.

    I, too, am grateful for advances in medical technology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow: Scans take different people different ways; I'm sorry they persecute you. I always pay attention to my breathing; I've always said I'd be lost without it.

      Delete
  2. It seems like they could ask the patients taste in music beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: But suppose they replied: "Mozart? Nah! Mozart's for cissies."

      Delete
  3. Yikes, how horrid...especially the 'music?'. Totally hate those machinesl, and I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi: But just imagine the procedure without them. Using a can opener to find out whether anything's wrong. Mind you, can openers have improved over the years.

      Delete
  4. I am so surprised they played music. Twanging guitars and shrieking nasal tones would not be any better than the sound of the machine itself. Oy. I do hope that the tests come back with good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NewRobin13: I'm no great judge of pop but this sounded like the "Straight to the garbage can" genre. But I have to say the machine noises are even worse - the product of a clockwork larynx. Nor is it easy to imagine they're working in your favour.

      Delete
  5. Re: your last sentence in reply to my comment: oh, tee-hee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crow: As I mentioned in a recent post, my role, when in hospital, is to make the staff laugh. And I've had some modest success in this. As preparation for these events I practise on the gallant tiny few who comment on Tone Deaf. The Hereford County Hospital (plus Worcester General and Kidderminster Acute) salute you as guinea pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had some of those noisy scans - MRI and CT types seem to vary on what they send off whilst working. Sometimes I have been given a "choice" of music, but have usually opted for none.

    Years ago I used to regularly practice Transcendental Meditation which was really effective for reducing stress - 20 minutes twice a day. I brought it back into play on those scans and it still helped considerably

    Hope the results are favourable for you Robbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: MRI involves the "tunnel" and CT the "doughnut". The latter is much less confining and less noisy (I'm going for one of those next Tuesday) and thus less of an ordeal. I have toyed with the idea of meditation but only if it's available without any qualifying adjective. Transcendental, with its implications, put me off.

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean about the adjectives, they seem to be used to sell particular methods. However all are basically the same when it comes down to it and I took what I needed and ignored their "eastern mysticism". Believe me, it works and I found, during working life I was able to accomplish much more and kept a certain serenity too.

    ReplyDelete