● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Tuesday 3 January 2023

After the blade

I surprised myself being philosophical about cancer. But the related surgery – round my neck – was another matter.

Would it threaten my singing? If so, was this swallowing the camel while straining at the gnat? Just a hobby, eh? No! Singing had opened an inner door I hardly knew existed. Allowing me to articulate a form of beauty rather than merely appreciate it. Create that which had not existed. Fuse physical exertion with secret hope. Singing is as muscular as marathon running however ludicrous that sounds.

Christmas intervened. I emailed V, my teacher, suggesting something shorter than the normal 90-minute lesson. An extended, simpler warm-up rather than the demanding exercise this had now become. Allowing her to assess the present quality of my singing voice and to measure improvement – if any – from this point.

Before the Skype screen became active I chose six of the easier songs from my repertoire and sang them to myself. It’s difficult to judge one’s own voice but I seemed hoarser. Also less confident. That latter quality is more than a state of mind, it can be go, no-go.

So, I suppose, we would fence. V setting out to encourage me but never generally, only in a technical musical way. I seeking to penetrate any hidden faults V had noticed but had not announced. The classic teacher/student relationship.

I wasn’t breathing from below. I modified my method. High notes were out but mid-high notes were easier than I had expected. V introduced a familiar eight-note sequence from a song I knew but couldn’t label. Clever!

V’s enthusiasm was real at the end. I saw this; we’ve listened to each other for six years. But these were early days. Don’t force it, she said. Another half hour next Friday. 

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are able to sing and really appreciate V's enthusiasm and encouragement. Happy New Year and keep on singing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NewRobin13: Funnily enough, a music teacher has to hand out praise much more carefully than criticism. Music is a precise language and blah-blah must be avoided at all costs. Also, students are often very good at recognising their own faults and are disappointed if a teacher fails in this repect. Not that V ever fails

      Delete
  2. She sounds like an excellent teacher. As Aesop's tortoise proved, slow and steady wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colette: Come to think of it, some of the scales I sang during the early part part of the warm-up might well have been sung by a tortoise.

      Delete
  3. Singing is very important to you. Your excellent teacher, too. Keep it up as long as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avus: From time to time I'm still surprised I can do it. ie, sing a quaver that is quaver length; jump an octave and arrive where I aimed at; sing 10 bars legato while breathing at the right places.

      Delete