● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Tuesday 3 January 2023

Not a cold ward, just cold blood

Heatable bean bag (in fetching red tartan) in right hand;
left hand inserted through frontal kangaroo pouch will 
draw bean bag into pregnancy position. RR, soon to be
warm as toast, wearing his new Lushforest hoodie

OK I fibbed, but through ignorance not though malice. Not that ignorance is a great excuse, there’s far too much of it about. I apologise.

My December 19 post, Polar News, described the discomforts of trying to sleep, post op, in a hospital ward where the heating seemed to be at a less-than-normal tropical level. Having to wear my outdoor trousers and thick jacket under the sheets, even which didn’t work.

I complained to the visiting surgeon the following morning and the only thing on my side is she sort of acknowledged the lower ambient temperature (which may have been slightly reduced because of cost) rather than point to a more likely reason.

When I got home I again felt cold but I couldn’t blame the heating. VR and I are old people, we need the warmth. Yet even at 19 deg C my bones rattled chilly. Soon the real culprit was identified; blood thinner medication had reduced my blood to the consistency of tap-water but without changing my physiology to that of a penguin.

Christmas approaching, my two daughters took over. The first online purchase consisted of a modern electric blanket. Formerly such blankets lay flat on the mattress; distorting them risked damaging the cable and shorting the supply. Now much more flexible, they may be wrapped round you and their output adjusted with a multi-level switch. Nor do they need to be switched on for long periods. You retain their heat by wearing a Lushforest oversized furry hoodie. Bought online.

The hoodie also has a kangaroo pouch at the front. Into which you may slip a bean bag, heated for 4 min in the microwave, and thereafter stalk around the house as if fully pregnant. But warm.

I’m glad the NHS wasn’t at fault.

6 comments:

  1. I've been using an electric blanket on and off for a few years now. My modus operandi is to switch it on say ten minutes before going to bed and having that luxurious pampering, getting into the resulting warmth. Usually I turn it off after a while. But, like you, I have felt the cold much more recently and I'm pretty sure that is down to age. I also have a Liverpool-red dressing gown made from a soft and incredibly warming fleece. It is from Liverpool FC's marketing products and was bought for me by son W after I had expressed, despite my dislike of football, admiration for Jurgen and I was immediately classified as a closet Liverpool fan. One of the best presents I have ever received.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sir Hugh: I forgot to mention, Occasional Speeder also provided me with a "snake" - a narrow tubular hot water bottle about 0.75 m long. It distributes heat much more evenly over the mattress than the square sort.

      Delete

  2. Good to have such daughters RR. Mine came over from OZ with her husband to help me nurse and care for her mother (my wife) for the last 6 weeks of her life. Such offspring are jewels.

    it is true, even without the blood thinners, that we oldies increasingly feel the cold. I have noticed this when e-cycling during the winter As a young man I used to cycle in shorts all winter long, albeit with knee length socks when it was below freezing. The ease of cycling on an e-bike does not generate body heat and I now need five clothing layers plus an under helmet balaklava and golfing mittens.on really cold days. This is worth it to be outside, away from four walls, with the air like chilled wine.

    I can still manage a short sleeved shirt and shorts during the warmer months though. But cycling ceases when the temperature gets above 30C. Then its reading, curtains drawn and fan revolving.

    Motorcycling (another pastime) ceases completely now during December, January and February, when the machines are SORNED and sensibly tucked up in the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avus: Their attentions, post-op, were the only ministrations I've ever experienced that briefly made me envy being a member of the royal family. Lolling continuously, my wishes transmitted silently as RF signals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I am with my German hot water bottle feeling like royalty.
    I keep repeating "Lushforest" over and over again.
    Lushforest ... it sings. It's a cosy word. Mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again with the "Anonymous" ... it's zuSchwer

    ReplyDelete