● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 11 January 2023

Careful, now


I have an urge to be different.  Reading (that’s books and other permanent matter as opposed to social media gobbets) is good, isn’t it? A sign of intelligence, an ability to concentrate?

Well, yes and no. Consider the question: Why do we read? Might our reasons and/or our subsequent experiences be ambiguous? Let’s see.

For entertainment. Passing time pleasurably. But suppose we find a best-seller (ie, it’s supposed to be easy-ish.) hard going. As I did with the Hobbit-dom. Am I at odds with the majority?

For information. Usually applies to non-fiction but can take in certain fictions (eg, the novels of Richard Powers.) We find the subject matter dull, revolting, over-technical. Are we open about this?

It’s a classic. Written over a hundred years ago. About another country. In an intractable translation. Characters who behave oddly by modern standards. Dare we denigrate “the experts”?

Because clever people approve of it. It turns out to be beyond us. Are we un-clever then?

“Everyone’s reading it”. We don’t like it but need to appear up-to-date with our friends. We worry about being negative.

It’s a movie but once it was a book. A book we never read, a fact we’re terrified about revealing. It might undermine our self-proclaimed reputation as a book reader.

It’s, say, anti-Catholic and we are Catholic. Does reading it betray our religious beliefs?

It’s less than a hundred pages and we associate quality with length. Always assuming we have strong wrists, best ignore it. Who wants to be thought lightweight?

WARNING Some above situations may be resolved by being frank. But – strangely enough – the world doesn’t always enjoy the company of frank people. Calling a spade a spade is OK for gardeners, not necessarily for book-circle members. It’s why euphemisms were invented. 

3 comments:

  1. books and newspapers ... I can't imagine my life without them. Just finished re-reading "This Is How You Lose the Time War" and am now starting on 'The Witcher' novels by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski in German translation. Reading these sorts of novels strengthens my imagination. As for newspapers, I enjoy challenging my knowledge and seeing what's out there that is new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zu Schwer: Reading: A genuine need. That's fine. But suppose the plane you're in has just taken off from Auckland, NZ, and is bound for Chicago, a 14 hr flight as I know to my cost. You dip into your cabin bag and realise the book you bought - rather too quickly at the Auckland AP book shop - you read less than a year ago and didn't enjoy. All the five severely edited movies on the plane's system are either for children or sex maniacs. Apart from ridding yourself of a sudden panic attack how you intend to remain sane during the next 13 hr 50 min. The point being, one may depend to heavily on books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Point taken. On such a flight, I would then look out the window (I always choose the window seat) and then pull out my notebook, pencil, and Staedtler eraser and proceed to write. That's how I roll.

    ReplyDelete