● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Tuesday 29 August 2023

Bye-bye yesterday

You might say its nature was compromised

Daughter PB has returned to teaching after several weeks looking after us. So it’s back to domestic duties for me and the daily comforting of VR, spouse of 63 years. No more stretching out a hand for a meal and a drink. Last might it was a valedictory Manhattan cocktail.

While she’s here PB does much laundering and has presided over the last useful days of our laundry basket. A woven structure, it has shed broken-off lengths of bamboo for months; now a handle has torn away. I promised to replace it with something plastic but PB proved to be surprisingly sentimental about the wreck. No matter, once I’d dropped her at the bus station I was off to J-Mart, the store with the infinite range of products.

Even VR proved slightly mournful, remembering where she’d bought it – a basketwork shop in Kingston-upon-Thames, some 45 years ago. I hate nostalgia and the way it glories the past over the present yet I have to confess I find it impossible to throw away my climbing boots, bought in 1953.

Since I’d had little to do with the basket I didn’t grieve at its passing. Not a fan of baskets, don’t like the way they creak. But where should ours be discarded? With the uprooted weeds, given it was once organic itself?

Its replacement is plastic and shaped like a baby’s cradle. It cost £5.99 and I suspect the basket cost the same all those years ago. It will “see me out” as my Grannie would say. It doesn’t have the same traditional form as its predecessor but it feels handier. Also it’s lighter.

I subscribe to the view that I may write about anything but I reckon there’s little more to be said about this minor washroom event.  

4 comments:

  1. I think you said it all. Lot's of thoughts and insights presented quite succinctly. I salute you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot really better Colette's remark above.

    When I was teaching groups of trainee instructors I had a bag of "objects" with which each would be presented and asked, after 10 minutes preparation, to talk for 5 minutes in front of the group (and videoed). Objects ranged from a plastic pink elephant to a woollen "willy warmer" (for light relief). Some of the resulting presentations where quite enlighteneing.

    But you couldn't say a lot more about that broken laundrey basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collette/Avus: Although I have lots of tending to do, including some wretched gardening, I regard both of your comments as a challenge. I'll write you another "new" 300 words on the old laundry basket. Although I admit I set this particular ball rolling I have to say no subject is ever entirely written out.

      Delete
  3. We have a beautiful tall woven laundry hamper/basket. We use that to gather all that needs washing. We have a plastic laundry basket when we take the clothes out of the dryer. I guess we live in both worlds... the woven and the plastic.

    ReplyDelete