● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Wednesday 26 June 2024

Facing the void

Tone Deaf's audience has shrunk almost to nothing. My fault, of course. There are four options.

(1) Have it “put down”, as with household pets.
(2) Continue, leading to many No Comment notifiers.
(3) Become inflammatory, insulting, libellous. Forcing responses.
(4) Trawl other new blogs for like minds. Leave comments.

Number One is simple but eliminates publicity for my books. Also, I’m an octogenarian writer. I haven’t enough time left for another novel; even short stories are a gamble. Tone Deaf’s 300-word limit suits my tired body and my much restricted waking life. Also, dialogue – real inventive dialogue, however small – is something I feed on.

Number Two: looking like a stoic who relishes failure.

Number Three might be fun but could be close to Trumpism.

I’ve tried Number Four. The process is exhausting and tends to be disappointing. Most people – other than me - are more than what they write. Mutual disapproval usually sets in after a couple of months.

It wasn’t always like that. Five or six years ago Tone Deaf (and before it, Works Well) attracted people with both time and stamina to engage in lengthy and inventive discussion.  I learnt a lot and went on to verse and singing lessons.

Told VR about these options. She said, “Well I read it.” Hmmm.

One more post to go: explaining why the well has dried up, being brutally honest.

9 comments:

  1. You are not alone. My own blog also seems to have dried up. I can think of one or two commenters who "are no longer with us'" but that doesn't explain everything. I think hated social media has a lot to do with it. Due to circumstances my subject matter has become less about outdoor activities. The most comments I received always arose from on the hoof blogging on long distance back packing trips and the last of those was the Llangollen Canal in 2021. Modelling plastic kits has gone down like the Titanic. Picking up on that, the T is a subject that I find irrationally irritating and boring and much to be avoided. My disapprobation peaked when I was forced to read the dreadful "Every Man for Himself" a supposed novel by Beryl Bainbridge. You would characteristically castigate me for not giving my reasons for that opinion but I haven't got the inclination to go back and masochistically remind myself. Maybe these odd thoughts could promote some discussion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogging isn't what it used to be for anyone. Just because people don't comment doesn't mean they aren't reading your blog. I have given up on trying to increase my readers. Either they read or they don't. I write for myself. If my blog eventually becomes a personal diary, so be it. Your blog is one of the few I look forward to reading. I'll be a little angry with you if you stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I read it. And would miss it if you stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry tenses gone awry there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All: There is a fairly obvious reason why this drought occurred And two other less obvious reasons. As I said, I intend to be brutally honest. But those who say they have read what I have written is no sort of proof that my stuff was necessarily worthwhile. One would, for instance, read this sentence, say in The Guardian, right to the end:

      Rishi Sunak enjoys an unexpected landslide victory in the July general election

      despite passing through the most grievous anxiety attack this side of adolescence.

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh, Robbie, don't quit! Few people comment on my blog anymore and I write much less often, but I'm stubborn enough not to quit. Writing helps me figure myself out, and once in a while, it's clear that my words have touched someone. Yours too. It's our fault, your readers', for being lazy and not engaging. Mea culpa. But please don't stop. You'll be sorry and so will we.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude - don’t make me edit my favorites list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MikeM: Been reflecting. It's a decision that requires deep thought; a truly vicious argument is rattling round my noggin. A handful of questions I never knew existed. The answers even more distant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Roger: I have been reading your blog with enjoyment for several years. I apologise for not commenting sooner. I would miss your posts if you were to stop now. I find that followers of my own little blog come to know me so well, when I have little idea sometimes who they are. Just like you and me! I feel like you are a long time acquaintance.

    ReplyDelete