● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Friday 7 June 2024

New can be quite hard

 

Later I rechristened it Rustbucket

In the mid-sixties I decided to try my hand as a journalist in the USA. Easier then, but still a venturesome prank. Since I couldn’t be sure I would succeed I came alone, leaving my wife and three-year-old daughter behind in the UK.

Gift-of-the-gab got me a job and I spent the next three months at the Pittsburgh Y until VR and daughter arrived on the SS United States. In New York that is.

During this time everything I did - other than the journalism - was new and often perversely difficult; but that was why I’d come, wasn’t it? An impossibly aggressive realtor resembled an enemy from the Middle Ages. I half expected this egg-shaped man to throw down his gauntlet as prelude to a duel with pitchforks. Which I’m sure I’d have won.

I needed to equip the flat, a job I’d only shared with VR in the UK. Obviously we’d need a frying pan. I disdained Teflon, being entranced by a ferocious looking thing – more weapon than cooking utensil – fashioned as one piece (including handle) in cast iron. Probably weighing one stone. To avoid being asked the obvious question I’ll let US readers down lightly: that’s fourteen pounds.

As far as I remember VR only used it once. Apart from its discouraging weight the only job it did well was to raise the temperature of the integral handle to white heat.

Later I got fed up of travelling to work on a tram manufactured according to the same principles as the frying pan (ie, excess weight seen as a virtue). On a whimsy I acquired a used Volvo 122, deemed a luxury car in the UK, rated a sub-compact in the Iron City. My colleagues saw me as deluded.

Different points of view y’unnerstand.

2 comments:

  1. When I was a young lad - circa 1970 - my girlfriend’s father had a collection of cast ware that he was very protective of. I believe he allowed his wife to cook with them - perhaps even to “wash” them, but anyone else facing up to after dinner tasks was warned by him, in his peculiar high pitched voice, to not “clean the pans”. He did not seem willing to explain why or to provide any special instructions. Simply “Don’t”. A volatile character who deprived us of the good exercise of handling the pans.
    40-odd years later I have learned a couple of the techniques that make CI cookware a joy to use: One must maintain the “seasoning”- that being the lard or alternative oil that fills the pores of the cast iron and prevents food sticking. This requires NEVER using soap to clean the pan, and retreating it (oiling while warm) as soon as it shows any sign of dryness. Pans are cleaned mechanically with a cloth - and a bit of water if needed. Heating the pan thoroughly (at fairly high heat) and then reducing the flame well prior to cooking seems to work best to prevent crusting and sticking. I have pretty much given up on the lightweight stuff, especially for cooking eggs. And of course we are told that “teflon” ingestion is not healthy, though “non-stick” cookware has improved over the years. We have a ceramic lined pan that I detest/haven’t learned to properly use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MikeM: Alas, I broke all the rules you cite above with the dear departed Le Creuset. I felt that having used the pan to heat fish fingers, I had to remove all fishy traces before I could heat slices of Polish ham. Just a drop of washing-up liquid and a thorough rinsing with plain water. You have to remember that what I do in the kitchen hardly qualifies as "cooking"; no more, really, than applying heat here and there. I cannot afford to immerse myself in recipes and such; in the limited time I have left. writing and singing are the greater priorities. The climax of the day is going to bed.

    ReplyDelete