● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Thursday 13 June 2024

The Hitchhiker





Was this the chap who thumbed my body for
A lift? His name, well-known and ominous,
The medics put aside, went latinate
And told me buccal sulsus was my guest.

Three years ago they cut an ounce of flesh
To gain the space for me to use – let’s say -
For better things. For widening my mouth
To sing An die Musik more plausibly.

The checks were good; the Kidderminster drive 
I took was countrified. My voice? It sang.
Months passed, enough to wipe the memory
Of that unwanted, fungal traveller. 

But recently new stirrings to the left,
Just where the blades had hacked and cut,
An irksome tightness like a hangman’s noose, 
And tegument that stretched from A to B.

I thought about the villa in Bordeaux,
The sport of language in the streets,
Kin splashing in the pool; much money spent
Would all our preparations go to waste?

Is this the last or was last year the end?
Is twenty-four (three times eight) finality?
These latter years I think I’ve shrugged at death
But others are the ones who feel the pain.

But lo! A consultation just arrived,
A guy in blue sees what I cannot see.
Murmurs to me, “Just tissue badly scarred.”
The hol is on; good grief, another year.

4 comments:

  1. Guests come and go, some need a push it seems to get the message taht time is up. Hope your recovery is speedy and not painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabine: I'm not sure "recovery" is the correct summary; more like "holding at bay".

      Delete
  2. MikeM: This is the third year in a row I've endured the same situation. The French villas have to be booked way in advance, I wouldn't qualify for travel insurance, and there has always been the risk of losing irretrievable thousands of deposit. One encouraging thing: all the relevant medicoes have enthusiastically supported the idea of a holiday.

    ReplyDelete