Why the “four-letter
word” is proof of linguistic laziness and could lead to misunderstanding,
courtesy the 1642-page New Penguin English Dictionary:
(1) A strong feeling
of attachment, tenderness and
protectiveness for another person.
(2) Attraction or devotion
based on sexual desire
(3) Warm interest in,
and enjoyment of, something.
Thus, could you be
sure you met all three qualifications for No. 1? No 2 would be inappropriate addressed
to an English bull terrier or a 90-year-old grandpa. And No 3 doesn’t fit a Big
Bird glove puppet.
Nota bene. The English
language has 170,000 active words and over 470,000 total entries. Take pride in
being precise. Eschew in particular the
two-word, out-of-the –corner-of-the-mouth grunt ending in “ – you”. Heck, you got
past second grade didn’t you?
************
![]() |
| The coat cost zillions; worth every groat |
It wasn't in Veronica's nature to complain, but she did
behave oddly. Regularly, on Sunday afternoons, for no good reason, we argued
violently. And, hey, Veronica argued to win. These were arid times.
Out of nowhere I conceived a fantastical plan: to work in
the USA. I wrote letters and got many answers. Why? Because I didn’t say “Wanna
job.” and just asked to be interviewed. Amazingly I convinced the American
Embassy in London I would not fall back on charity.
I left for Pittsburgh on Boxing Day 1965 and Veronica joined
me in April. The flat I rented had central heating and the Sunday arguments
ceased. Were they triggered by the icicles of the London semi?
We lived comfortably; I changed jobs; made more dough. The
American way. Mutual agreement? Well, another
daughter arrived.
Pure delight occurred when I volunteered to supervise publication
of a 300-page book about control valves - a project which had languished for
years. My boss’s son, normally brutal, was astonished at my competence and work
rate. Said: fly out to San Francisco to do a final MS check with the author,
take your wife, hire a car, have fun. He may have said there were vineyards in
California but I already knew.
Who were we? Both voracious readers; in the US we didn’t
bother buying a TV for the first two years. We enjoyed the same cuisines (eg,
abalone on Fisherman’s Wharf); shared lots of great classical music (eg, Isaac
Stern) at the Jewish Y.
Initially our US neighbours saw us as foreign – yet friendly
– oddities; later they had to agree we were cleverclogs. For one thing we'd
travelled. The adventure ended after six years when I was invited to launch a
new magazine but my ambitious friend made the enormous error of paying me more
than the guy who should have sold the ads; good editorial, but not enough
income. I phoned a pal in London; yup he had a technical editorship vacant. The two daughters were sent (stewardness
accompanied) by plane to join their grandparents in south-eastern England and
we followed - with the car - on the SS France.
![]() |
| Retained for the expressive O |
And here the soft life came – temporarily – to an end. SS France was a huge luxury liner run by the French, ergo. a litre of white and a litre of red on our table-for-two every lunch and every dinner. Yet the sense of confinement and the lack of intellectual diversion had us screaming with anger at each other. The old arguments were resurrected. The five-day crossing seemed to last five months. Driving along the Channel coast though Hampshire and Sussex calmed us down.
Human beings rediscovering humanity, at least in one case. Property
prices 12 miles from central London, where we ended up, were punitive and this
led to an act which may hint at why we stayed together for 66 years. I was
being paid reasonably but it was Veronica who saw it wouldn’t be enough.
Without telling me she looked for work that would fit being a mother of two.
Briefly she became a store detective, a later source of great hilarity, but it
meant working Saturdays. Eventually she entered a highly technical part of the
Civil Service and became so expert she was able to refuse a promotion because
it meant giving up this newly won expertise.
All without initially consulting me. Protecting me from inadequacy.
Later we were able to rent villas in France with sufficient
rooms to accommodate family groups up to eight if they wished to come.
Is this an example of how we felt about each other? Presents
were a real bastard. We were living comfortably, if we wanted something we
bought it. Veronica once bought me an expensive bottle of wine which was also a
rarity. How did she know and where the hell did she find it? I bought her a
year’s subscription to a leftist weekly magazine which suited her politics. So
much appreciated I continued the subscription, year after year. Two days ago,
in a moment of sadness, I cancelled.
Before Veronica went into the nursing home I looked after
her for six months. As dementia developed she became more and more fractious,
forcing herself to be negative about everything in life, refusing all forms of
change. Did she approve of what I was doing? Dementia had her wanting to growl “No.”
Something deeper had her whisper “Yes.”
I have gone on too long but it’s a complex tale.
Nobody is going to get this far.
For Pete’s sake we were a couple. Coupling has a vulgar
meaning but it also means connection. Death alone broke it.


I dare say everyone got that far. I think the first para defs are “either/or”, and reading yet another iteration of your early travails and travels has me chuckling (particularly “And hey, Veronica argued to win”). Still, I can’t say I loved it.
ReplyDelete