● Lady Percy moves me - might she move you? CLICK TO FIND OUT
● Plus my novels, stories, verse, vulgar interests, apologies, and singing.
● Most posts are 300 words. I respond to all comments/re-comments.
● See Tone Deaf in New blogger.


Saturday 11 April 2020

Unguided minds


Jo(e) showed impossibly neat bookshelves
on her blog. Here's one of mine. Would you
say Homerically untidy? Tell the truth I'm
a tiny bit proud of this lack of organisation
PJ PRACTICE At what time of day may one decently change into pyjamas? The Reagans (former White House residents) thought 6.30 pm was OK but then he was already snoring by 9 pm.

A more cogent point is: what are we risking? Are pyjamas a sign we prefer sleep and/or preparing for sleep to being awake? Intellectually we've given in? Some people cloud the issue with talk about pyjamas being "comfortable" but what does this say about the clothes they normally wear?

I was very conscious of the Reagans when I first changed into PJs while it was still light. Now Wiki tells me that Ronnie departed the presidency at age 78. And I am six years older than he was then.

Drinking booze while wearing PJs. There's another tester.

SCREENING Skyping the family is now a routine. And we've widened the circle, Professional Bleeder has joined us. For a few seconds we were even wider: Darren, Occasional Speeder's husband, could be seen tentatively cutting grandson Zach's hair, leaving him with a Half-Monk.

When VR joins me we're a foursome and you realise the need for a workable protocol. None of us is good at guessing when others have stopped talking. Interruptions become endemic. My facetiousness is now a burden to me as well as the others. There's a two-second gap before laughter is signalled and this gets on my nerves. More so when laughter is not signalled.

I have plans for our next session (6 pm today) for which OS has said we should all have a drink (s?) in advance, and then drink steadily and visibly throughout. This could alter the goalposts.

DEFINITION The question: What's posh? arose. Daniel, Ysabelle's partner, said it depended on having two or more gravy-boats. That went down well.

6 comments:

  1. My siblings and I discussed via email whether we should Skype with each other and nothing came of it. We've lived far apart for so many years, we mostly communicate the old fashioned way, on the telephone one on one. Lately we email a lot of links to informative articles about the doom we are all facing. Not much cheery stuff! I like that you are communicating and seeing your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you sleep naked, as I do? At what time then should I strip off?
    We are obviously not at all posh as we do not possess any gravy boats

    ReplyDelete
  3. robin andrea: Faces do make a difference. Adding drink even more so. And Skype saves money. Yesterday's session (six adults all told) resembled a rowdy weekend party, all of us twenty years younger, no one making much sense.

    Avus: I'm surprised a hardy stoic like you gets dressed in the first place. Even in truly hot places (Singapore, mid-Pennsylvania, the Languedoc) I still wear my PJ trousers. No doubt following HM's example; doesn't she keep her Crown Jewels in the Tower?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I've taught for years on a college campus, I have seen pajama pants at pretty much any time of day. I think their biggest plus is that they accommodate all the weight we're all gaining during quarantine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am jarred every time I come to “pie- jamas”. Only recently have I come to partake of video chat - first through telemedicine (“seeing” a dermatologist from Cedars Mt Sinai in NYC)- then a doxy.me episode with my new derm (who’s actually seem and touched me first hand) due to covid distancing. Finally- shown how easy FaceTime is after owning an iPhone for 18 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MikeM: I get equally jarred when the word "alternate" (Two things occurring in turn) is thought to be a synonym for "alternative" (providing a choice, esp. between two options). Many's the US professor I've brought up short with that one.

    My grandson is against adding video to a conversation. Where's the need? he asks. Clearly he might as well be blind. FaceTime is the Mac equivalent for Skype. I've only just discovered.

    ReplyDelete